Author Topic: Why would a family change their name back to a maiden name?  (Read 2230 times)

Offline MaryThorn

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Why would a family change their name back to a maiden name?
« on: Tuesday 26 January 16 20:05 GMT (UK) »
I'm confused by the family of my 3rd great grandmother, Margaret Jane Southern, born 1840 in Blyth.

I have her marrying William Moore in 1859.

In both the 1861 and 1871 census' she is living with her parents and children in Middleton Yard.  In 1881 she is still in Middleton Yard but with just her children.  I can not find any mention of her husband in census returns.

Studying the census images it seems that in 1871 their is a W after her name, which I presume means Widow, although I can not find a death for William Moore.

In the 1881 census she is still a Moore but this time it has her as married instead of a widow and living with some of her children also going by the surname Moore.

By the 1891 census she is living in Bowes Street with a John Gilchrist and she is described as his wife.  Interestingly some of children continue to live with her but by now they are known as Southern, her maiden name. 

In the 1901 census she is still known as Margaret Jane Gilchrist and that is the last I can find as her.  Her children continue to go by Southern and not Moore and marry with these names.

So what could the reason be behind this change in name? Could William Moore have abandoned the family?  But then how could his children revert back to their mothers maiden name?

Offline Westmoreland

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Why would a family change their name back to a maiden name?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mary
There a number of reasons
1) She hated him
2) grand parents offer a part of a will if kids change back
3) The kids would rather be known by this name

My own Grand son whos mum (my daughter) had married her left the grand son
changed his name back to mine so the blood line goes on

good look
Westmorland

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 20:28 GMT (UK) »
her death

Deaths Mar 1907 
GILCHRIST    Margaret Jane    67    Newcastle T.    10b   21

Could be the kids change the name back because of an inheritance as already mentioned, or maybe they found out he was a bigamous and so the first marriage was not valid.

Do you have the first marriage certificate and if so is there information on that which may help in the search for William

James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline MaryThorn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Don't have a marriage certificate for them, although it's next on my list.  I doubt the name change was down to an inheritance, the jobs they had probably meant they lived hand to mouth most times.

Thanks for the heads up on her death, I hadn't found it yet.  Interestingly again, I can't find her marriage to John Gilchrist even though she is listed as Gilchrist at her death.

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 January 16 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Hopefully this will save you the cost of a marriage cert. as the information in the church record is exactly the same.

The marriage took place in Earsdon Parish Church on January 17th 1859 after banns

William Moore aged 28, bachelor, Miner of South Blyth.  Father James Moore, Customs House Officer

Margaret Jane Southern aged 19, spinster of South Blyth.  Father John Southern, Master Mariner

Witnesses:  Robert Gray and Isabella Anne Southern

Christine

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 January 16 23:34 GMT (UK) »
Under the laws of England & Wales a person can call themselves anything they like!
Just as long as there is no intention to deceive or defraud.

So, the children could call themselves Moore, Southern, Gilchrist or Mickey Mouse! ;D

A Deed Poll isn't necessary, except for legal reasons (inheritance and the like).
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline MaryThorn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 January 16 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Christine

Thank you so much for that record, where on earth did you find it?  I couldn't find anything similar through Familysearch, Ancestry or Findmypast.  That really helps me.

K thank you for additional information, certainly makes a lot of sense.  Margaret Janes' daughter has proved equally tricky in that she wasn't married to her children's father at their birth so in most records they have her surname, then later census' have them under their fathers surname but then one christening record has the oldest child under a different surname, his fathers fathers surname, the name he used after a few years was his stepfathers which means the last 3 generations have been going by the stepfathers surname. It all sounds more confusing than an episode of Jeremy Kyle.

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 January 16 00:02 GMT (UK) »
I have the advantage of living quite close to Northumberland archives - that information came straight out of the parish record  ;D

Christine

Offline MaryThorn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 28 January 16 00:17 GMT (UK) »
That's intriguing Christine, handy for you too.