Author Topic: What Uniform Is This??  (Read 2640 times)

Offline nursey dumpling

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
What Uniform Is This??
« on: Tuesday 26 January 16 22:49 GMT (UK) »
These are pictures of my great grandfather taken around the turn of the 20th Century. He fought in the Boer War and claimed he was in the Canadian Black Watch. We have his Boer war service record which shows he served with Unit 14 Imperial Yeomanry Company (Northumberland) but nothing to confirm the Canadian link. Can anyone identify these uniforms.
Thank you in advance.
Harrison, Beattie, Austin, Stafford, Douglas, Leith (Leeth) - Monkwearmouth / Sunderland
Forster, Wardell - Stockton
Wardell - Trimdon
Corner, Hawksby - Middlesborough

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What Uniform Is This??
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 January 16 08:22 GMT (UK) »
5th Royal Scots of Canada, still checking.

James
www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?topic=25544.0

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 January 16 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Agree, you'll note from the link that James kindly posted that the Black Watch of Canada is descended from the 5th Royal Scots of Canada.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 January 16 15:55 GMT (UK) »
The majority of the Canadian infantry in the Boer War went in what might be called composite contingents called Royal Canadian Regiment of Infantry made up of men from many different units.There were a number of 5 Royal Scots among the first contingent.  Don't know how dates fit with your GGrandad but you might find his name here (click from here to turn the pages) https://archive.org/details/cihm_03838.  He may well of course have joined the 5 Royal Scots (the regiment wasn't called the Black Watch until 1930) after service in the Boer War.

Let us know how it goes.

maxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 January 16 16:28 GMT (UK) »
1st ribbon on left breast is Queens South Africa medal, he probably has clasps for different operations within  the Boer war conflict,

James

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 January 16 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Good spot James.  I'm beginning to go with the idea that he served in SA with the Imperial Yeomanry as the OP said and then joined the 5 Royal Scots after the war.  Dates all important, hoping to hear more from Nursey Dumpling.

maxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 January 16 18:51 GMT (UK) »
2nd ribbon looks like Kings South Africa medal for 18 months in South Africa. He also appears to have a ribbon on his right breast.

Ken

Offline nursey dumpling

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 January 16 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou all for your help. Your observation of the Queen's South Africa Medal is correct with clasps :-  Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Transvaal, South Africa 1901. His service in the Boer War was from January 1900 to June 1901. We are trying to find out when he moved over to Canada as we don't know his whereabouts between the Boer War and the 1930's; do you think there any clues in these pictures.
I have attached another photo of him being presented to the Duke of Connaught (Date unknown) Interestingly he is wearing Corporal stripes but his records only show private!
I have had a quick look at the 'Canadians in Khaki', interesting book but didn't find his name.
Harrison, Beattie, Austin, Stafford, Douglas, Leith (Leeth) - Monkwearmouth / Sunderland
Forster, Wardell - Stockton
Wardell - Trimdon
Corner, Hawksby - Middlesborough

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 28 January 16 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Great Photos I am inclined to agree with Maxd and suggest he was in the Imperial Yeomanry prior to his service in the 5th Royal Scots, His medal ribbons are on his highlanders uniform and these would not have been issued until after 1902 when the Boer War ended,
The Duke of Connaught was a Governor General in South Agrica and Canada so it is likely the pic of the Imperial Yeomanry is SA as there is a New Zealander with the "lemon squeezer"  hat and a Scot with Glengarry cap and tailored tunic for a kilt wear and other Glengarry caps in view' and also some men with  maple leaf collar badges. Imperial Yeomanry was made up of various mounted units such as Scottish Horse, Fife and Forfar Yeomanry, Lovat Scouts et al and formed in 1900 and your man also has a Glengarry.
My view is that having served with these men from the Commonwealth he fancied a "shot" at a
different way of life and went to Canada after the Boer War and before ww1 and enlisted in 5th Royal Scots,
Perhaps there is a way to trawl through passenger lists into Canada after 1902 and before ww1
You are so fortunate to have such fine photos of your grandfather,

PS. Some Scottish soldiers from my regiment (Scots Guards) I served with in Malaya went to Australia and enlisted into Australian Regiments we had served alongside.

James