Author Topic: Marshfield, Monmouthshire  (Read 2249 times)

Offline gwyninoz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marshfield, Monmouthshire
« Reply #9 on: Monday 09 May 16 22:46 BST (UK) »
True. More research for me.

Offline Grandma Chris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Margaret Gardner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 10 May 16 19:40 BST (UK) »
Having just read your query I was intersted to see that  your gg grandfather was living with Ebenezer Williams at Black Birds Nest.
 Ebenezer was the brother of my gg grandfather David Williams of Gout farm, Peterstone Wentlooge. Their parents were William and Jane Williams of Gout farm.
Ebenezer was a Baptist Minister and farmer. I don't know of any link with the Thomas family. Will have to have a look into that.Many of the Williams family are buried in Castleton.

Best wishes,
Christine davies.
Davies, Bengough, Kinsey, Gardner, Williams, Scudamore,Gray ,Hill and Buffery(Birmingham), Scoble, Baker, Blinman,Emanuel.

Offline gwyninoz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 11 May 16 01:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your message Christine,
I think my John Thomas was working for Ebenezer in a very humble capacity but its lovely to hear of the connection. At the very beginning of this quest some years ago I was contacted by a lady whose husband, a doctor,  had his general practice on what was Black Birds Nest. Its a very small world.

According to the census records JT was born at Peterstone and, since he put the same place in each one, there is no reason to doubt that. In 1861 he was working at the Coach & Horses, Marshfield which is still there and I have a photo of it. Maybe he didn't share the Baptist views of the Williams family?
JT never remarried after Elizabeth died and appears to have brought John Jnr up himself as no other family member is mentioned in any census. I can't even tell when either of them died as there are just too many John and Elizabeth Thomas' in the GRO death records to order them all.
Another corespondent said that although she had looked at what graves there are in the area John didn't seem to be there. I doubt if he would have had a headstone anyway.

GerryP found a marriage (1837) that could be relevant if Elizabeth was Elizabeth Jones. There is a Cecelia Jones (aged 60) at Michaelstone in the 1841 census who may have been the witness and maybe Elizabeth's mum. I can't yet find an Elizabeth born to (Thomas and) Cecelia (millions of spelling variations) but I'll keep looking.

Cheers, Gwyn

Offline GerryP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 21 May 16 16:45 BST (UK) »
Gwyn,

Also in the 1841 census for Marshfield is this family:-

Thomas Jones  55  shopkeeper
Mary Jones      55
Mary               20
William           20
Ann                15
Thomas           15
Cecilia             15

This Thomas and Cecelia could be Elizabeth's brother and sister. Witnesses maybe?

Offline gwyninoz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 22 May 16 01:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gerry. Yes, that is a possibility, there is another Cecelia Jones in the same census at Michaelstone too.
Unless the full parish record for the marriage (not just the BT) is lurking somewhere and has an address for John or parents for either I can't prove any of it. Very frustrating.