Author Topic: Mary Cartmell Lewis, (B1875), Liverpool.  (Read 1687 times)

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Cartmell Lewis, (B1875), Liverpool.
« on: Wednesday 27 January 16 09:43 GMT (UK) »
 I'm looking for any details for Mary Cartmell Lewis, born in Liverpool in 1875. Her father was said to be John Lewis and this is the person that I have most interest in. Mary was my Grandmother on my paternal side ... she married my Grandfather, Thomas Richards, (1875), at Manchester in 1889. Using 'Family search' whilst trying to place him in my tree I came across the 1891 census for Holyhead that has a John Lewis, (B1857), plus a son and 4 daughters, one of which is a Mary Lewis, born 1875. Unfortunately they show John as being born "Anglesey, England" with all of the children born in England.
 My family are from Anglesey and I've always wondered how Thomas met and married Mary. After their marriage they moved back to Anglesey and in the 1901 census Mary is shown as being a Welsh speaker, whether because she was so-called 'Liverpool Welsh' or whether she is the Mary shown, living at Holyhead in the 1881 census remains to be discovered, with your help and assistance.
 My eldest sister was named Margaret Mary Cartmell Richards and my brother, Thomas Emrys so it may well be that Mary's mother was named either Mary or Margaret in the traditional way. The mother is not shown on the Holyhead census for 1881.
   Hoping that someone can shed some light on this topic.    Regards from Sweden.
Richards in Anglesey. Liverpool, Cardiganshire.
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Cartmell Lewis, (B1875), Liverpool.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 January 16 10:58 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for any details for Mary Cartmell Lewis, born in Liverpool in 1875. Her father was said to be John Lewis and this is the person that I have most interest in. Mary was my Grandmother on my paternal side ... she married my Grandfather, Thomas Richards, (1875), at Manchester in 1889.

For anyone trying to help the marriage was registered Holyhead, Anglesey in 1898.

Mo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 January 16 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for that error. They were married at Holyhead, St. Cybi on the 25th of March, 1898. My father was born in Manchester, 23rd October, 1898.
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 January 16 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Are they living at 2 Essex Street, Toxteth Park in 1881?  John is a ship builders labourer born Anglesey Holyhead aged 36 with wife Margaret born Liverpool aged 33 plus  children all born Liverpool including a 5 year old Mary

Mo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 January 16 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Birth registration
Mary Cartmel Lewis
March Quarter 1876
West Derby Registration District
Volume 8b
Page 322

The above details will enable you to purchase her birth certificate from the General Register Office. The certificate will show her father and mother's names so that you can find their marriage.

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 January 16 11:48 GMT (UK) »
I think Mary's baptism is on Ancestry with the Cartmel rather mangled by the vicar and looks like Cartmale to me. Ancestry have it as Cottsnall

St Thomas Toxteth Park
26 March 1876
Mary Cartmale Lewis daughter of John and Margaret Lewis
4 Pecksmith  St  john a labourer

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 January 16 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Mosie for that information.
   I don't have access to the census proper but it confirms my suspicion that John was born in Anglesey and that his birthdate is now seen as C1845. A good guess on his wife's name on my part. Does your census show the Childrens names ... the 1891 Holyhead shows children Mary, Margaret, and Sara born before 1881 (birth order) with another 2 children born after.. If your 1881 has the same children then it's a good guess that they are the same family.

Gibel ...no wonder I couldn't find anyone of that name. I see from my records that there were 3 Richards families living at Toxteth at that time. Regards, Peter.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 January 16 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Pecksmith
should be Pecksniff
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 January 16 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Walter the youngest child on the 1881 census referred to earlier was also of Pecksniff Street (52) when he was christened at St Thomas a Toxteth Park on 11 January 1880