Author Topic: JOSLIN, Born 1841, Devon  (Read 742 times)

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
JOSLIN, Born 1841, Devon
« on: Wednesday 27 January 16 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I have deliberately omitted the christian name to highlight my dilemma.

The Parkhurst Prison register (The National Archives HO24/15, p.151) states that Thomas JOSLIN was admitted to the prison from Devonport Gaol on 05/08/1856 to serve a 12 calendar month sentence for felony of 4 feet of lead pipe.   He was sentenced at the Parish of Stonehouse Midsummer Sessions on 25/06/1856.

The England & Wales Criminal Registers, 1791-1892 (The National Archives HO27/113, p.136) states that James JOSLIN was sentenced on the same day for the same offence and the same imprisonment.....there is no mention of a Thomas JOSLIN from Devon being sentenced.

I have reviewed some of the Public Member Trees for both Thomas and James, but they have proved unhelpful with no details of his criminal history.

Can anyone help confirming the correct christian name and, possibly, some genealogy, which may allow me to approach the Public Member Tree "Owners"?    I would be grateful.   Incidentally, it is quite important to solve the dilemma as I will be able to correlate details about his co- defendant, Samuel WATTS, who received the same sentence and was also sent to Parkhurst Prison.

For the moment,

Tony

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: JOSLIN, Born 1841, Devon
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 January 16 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Can you confirm those dates?

Thomas JOSLIN was admitted to the prison from Devonport Gaol on 05/08/1851 to serve a 12 calendar month sentence for felony of 4 feet of lead pipe.   He was sentenced at the Parish of Stonehouse Midsummer Sessions on 25/06/1856.

Is it a typo, or two separate offences? That would make him 10 years old.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 January 16 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Sorry......a mistake indeed.   He was admitted on 05/08/1856 when he was aged 15.   

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 January 16 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi
It is obviously the same man.
Looking at the censuses for a Joslin born in 1841 in the Devonport area I'd go for
Thomas Harris Joslin  born 1841 in Plymouth son of John and Elizabeth.
The only James I can see is from Loxhore and that is in the north by Barnstaple.He seems to stay there until 1901 so unlikely he made a quick move over to Plymouth  did the robbery and moved back.

As for his companion there are two-- Samuel Henry Watts s of James and Alice in Plymouth and Samuel G Watts s of Mary Ann Watts in Stonehouse.
At a guess I'd go for the latter just because they were charged in Stonehouse.

Ciderdrinker

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 January 16 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Good Evening ciderdrinker,

I sent you a message of "thanks" earlier on this evening for all your help, but the thread seems not to have recorded it.

In any event I shall accept your advice for both the offenders and create database Biographies for them on that basis.

Again my thanks,

Tony