Author Topic: Isabel Smith bn 1728 Falkirk Mother Jean KINCAID  (Read 1524 times)

Offline Liverbird1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Isabel Smith bn 1728 Falkirk Mother Jean KINCAID
« on: Wednesday 27 January 16 21:40 GMT (UK) »
I have in my tree Isabel Smith married Thomas Robertson 1751.  Their son John Robertson married Margaret Gillespie down the line I know i have true, its going back up the line that I'm finding it difficult to take in.  John Robertson death cert in 1818 says he was 60 years old makes him born 1758.   The only John I can find fits that year is the one with parents Thomas & Isabell Smith found on Scotland's People.

Isabel's baptism says parents John Smith (as does Marriage cert) and Jean Kincaid. 

So this lead me on a journey of researching the KINCAID's - Jean's parents are James Kincaid (1640) & Marion Boyd (1654?).

James (1640) parent's James (1612) and Jeane Somerville (1616).

James (1612) parent's are James (1571) Margaret Hamilton (1571)

and lucky I have done a fair bit of reading on the Kincaid's and gone back to 1449.  There is so much on the Kincaids that I have branched into Earl's & Lady's.

Here comes the BUT - how can I be sure that I'm looking at the correct John Robertson (1758)?  All the other trees on ancestry also point to the mother as being Isabel Smith.  I just want to be certain.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Isabel Smith bn 1728 Falkirk Mother Jean KINCAID
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 January 16 23:03 GMT (UK) »
I am sending you a PM with an email contact regarding Kincaid's who should be able to help.  It has been a few years since he and I chatted so I hope his email is still active.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 January 16 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Here comes the BUT - how can I be sure that I'm looking at the correct John Robertson (1758)?  All the other trees on ancestry also point to the mother as being Isabel Smith.  I just want to be certain.

Don't we all :). But you can't be certain, unless you find some independent evidence to confirm it, for example wills, gravestones, sasines, deeds and so on.

What you must never do is assume that, just because there is only one possible candidate in the records, that one is necessarily the right person, and especially when the names are as common as Smith and Robertson.

Many people's baptisms and marriages are not in the available records, either because they were never recorded to start with, or because the record has not survived. Some people estimate that 40% are missing.

In my own tree I have 3709 people born between 1800 and 1854 in Scotland. Of these there are 763 people whose approximate year of birth I have found from either the census or a post-1855 marriage or death certificate, but whose baptisms I have been unable to find. Then I have 128 people whose dates of birth I can only guess at. That means that just under one in four of the people in my tree who were born between 1800 and 1854 are missing from the readily accessible baptism records (IGI and SP). A small proportion will probably be in the records of other religious denominations, but I estimate that at least one in five baptisms is actually missing.

The further back you go, the more are missing. Between 1750 and 1799 I have about one in five baptisms missing, but from 1700 to 1749 one in three is missing.

As for trees on Ancestry - just because there are dozens of these does not mean that they are correct. What happens is that someone makes assumptions, uploads a tree based on these assumptions, and umpteen other people come along, find that tree, assume it is correct and copy it, so over time there are dozens of trees with the same assumption.

Remember what Einstein said when the book 100 Authors Against Einstein was published. "When asked about the book, Einstein retorted by saying “Why 100 authors? If I were wrong, then one would have been enough!” See http://weeklysciencequiz.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/a-hundred-authors-against-einstein.html
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 January 16 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Forfarian is right.
Just because the same information appears on multiple trees does not mean it's correct.
Everyone copies from everyone else.

I have an ancestor who's parentage is unknown but I shared my extensive research with one other researcher who decided to chose and add a set of parents.
This info has now been copied into 27 different trees complete with new ancestry going back many generations

Without a shadow of doubt the allocated parents are.... impossible!

Offline Liverbird1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 January 16 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Yes this is why I'm not copying and trying to confirm the details myself. 

Offline Liverbird1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 January 16 11:51 GMT (UK) »
To Forfarian I notice that you have Leslie in Rothes - me too if I'm correct!

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 January 16 17:23 GMT (UK) »
To Forfarian I notice that you have Leslie in Rothes - me too if I'm correct!

I've sent you a PM.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.