Author Topic: Charles McInnes Quarry Man born about 1819  (Read 5516 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Charles McInnes Quarry Man born about 1819
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 28 January 16 14:20 GMT (UK) »
1851 below in Scotland I think for the family. Anna...Una...Una can be a variant of Anna etc, see www.whatsinaname.net/php/search.php?action=search2&search_name=una

Charles Mcinnes 30 slate quarrier b. Erdale, argyleshire
Anna Mcinnes 30 b. Appin, argyleshire
Archd Mcinnes 7 b. Appin, argyleshire
Charles Mcinnes 5 b. Appin, argyleshire
Ann Mcinnes 3 b. Appin, argyleshire
Evren (Ewen?) Mcinnes 1 b. Appin, argyleshire
Nathaniel Charlton 18 lodger b. England
Barbra Charlton 18 lodger b. Aberdeen

Address: East Laroch Balechelish, Balechelish, Lismore and Appin, Argyll

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 28 January 16 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Can see now where the reference comes in for Charles having married twice. Think is was first Anna/Una in that marriage in 1843 in Lismore mentioned by Carol.

We then have the 1851 census, with children from that marriage. I think Anna/Una died between 1851-54, when Charles married again. Wife Mary not McLean but McInnes (the same as Charles). Possible banns to marriage here https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTKF-1MV also further entry here (which is why I think these might be the banns' dates not the marriage itself, read out in different places (maybe Mary was in Ayr at the time?) https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTKR-3R3

This is 1861 for the family:

Charles Mcinnes 40 slate quarrier b. Easdel, Argyllshire
Mary Mcinnes 38 b. Easdel, Argyllshire
Archibald Mcinnes 17
Charles Mcinnes 16
Ann Mcinnes 13
Hugh Mcinnes 11..this likely Ewen from 1851 www.whatsinaname.net/php/search.php?action=search2&search_name=ewen
Julia Mcinnes 6 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XY5M-Y45 ***
Peter Mcinnes 4 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYYL-WJ3
Elsie Mcinnes 2 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XY5M-RLB

Address: Laroch Village, Glencoe, Appin

*** If you, I would look at the original image for this birth cert of Julia on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/. 1855 was the first year of official registration in Scotland and BMD entries on the register ran over two page on the register with a unique wealth of additional info. By 1856, less info was included.

One more child showing for them, born just after the 1861 census https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XY5M-B9Q

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 28 January 16 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Having another look at this. The family were mentioned in the other post as still being in Scotland for 1871. All the children showing as born in Ballachulish, Argyll:

Charles McInnes 50 slate quarrier b. Easdel, Argyllshire
Charles McInnes 24 slate quarrier
Ann McInnes 21
Hugh McInnes 19 slate quarrier
Julia McInnes 16
Peter McInnes 14
Betsy McInnes 11

Address: Glencoe Road, Appin Argyll

Trish showed the marriage index entry for Archilbald marrying in 1875 (29 Sep 1875 • North Otago, New Zealand). He doesn't show in 1871 with family. The rest of the children we have do show with father Charles. Mary McInnes? Has she died by now or away from home that night? The original image on SP (Scotlands People) does include marital status.

malcolmjm, which of the children is your direct line?

Monica

Offline malcolmjm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 29 January 16 04:17 GMT (UK) »
Monica you have some definite names ect there that I can confirm. My connection with the McInnes family is via Archibald Campbell and Louisa McInnes's son John Favel McInnes who is my grandfather. Archibald and Louisa's childrens names are Charles,Gertrude,Ernest,James,Elizabeth,Una and John. This information was kindly given to me by another descendant in Galong. I have a reasonable amount of info on the Australian side thanks to some past and now recent posts which have been immensely helpful and I thank those involved very much. What I am now trying to do is trace the Scotland side of the McInnes's, I have a copy of a death cert for Charles McInnes stating he passed away 2/11/1893 at Galong NSW Australia which near Burrowa in that district. On the certificate it shows two marriges first at 24 years of age no name of that wife. Showing children Archibald Campbell, Charles,Anne,Hugh,Mary and one child deceased with no name. Second marriage at 36 years old to Una Campbell showing children as Julie,Peter and two females deceased with no names. On that certificate it shows his parents as Archibald McInnes and Mary McLean. Information supplied on the cert is by his son Archibald Campbell McInnes. I now wish to confirm Charles McInnes parents, possibly Allan McInnes and Mary McDonald. Being new at this site I am still trying to find my way

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 29 January 16 16:51 GMT (UK) »
When things are new, can take a little while. Don't worry though on RootsChat. People are helpful and guide you through any stage. If any of us makes mistakes, it is ok, the world is still going round  ::)

Thank you for adding extra detail. So you are descended from Archilbald, likely first born son following Charles and Anna/Una's marriage.

From what we have above, I would say that Archibald gave order of marriages wrong  :-\ This happens on registrations sometimes  :-\

It should be first Anna/Unna Campbell, Archibald's mother (the 1843 Old Parish Register entry in Lismore that Carol found, Charles would have been aged c. 24 years then) and then Mary McInnes (again, from what we have, looks to be 1854, Charles would have been c. 36 years old). Details from the censuses and children seem to help in confirming this. The 1855 birth of Julia, daughter of Mary and Charles, will include date and place of parents' marriage along with all other details on the parents. All the children's names included on Charles' death reg are what we are seeing on the Scottish Censuses. You also have the references that I have added for births from Family Search. You can view all of these as original images on Scotlands People (pay to view but not expensive to do so).

Can find only 1 Childs Burial;
ARCHIBALD C McInnes, 1930 Boorowa, Parents CHARLES/UNA

Trish's details on likely death reg for your Archilbald confirms mother as Una (Anna). Given his birth year, helps further to confirm Anna/Una Campbell as Charles' first wife...

Monica  :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 29 January 16 17:45 GMT (UK) »

...On that certificate it shows his parents as Archibald McInnes and Mary McLean. Information supplied on the cert is by his son Archibald Campbell McInnes. I now wish to confirm Charles McInnes parents, possibly Allan McInnes and Mary McDonald...

Can we go through this bit again please?

Charles' parents look to be Archibald McInnes and Mary McLean (these names also confirmed on Charles' death as reported by son Archibald). This ties back well to some of the info in Scotland. Likely Charles' father, Archibald, had died pre 1841. His mother and Charles and siblings show together in 1841 on the census. The first year of this type of census, marital status is not shown. Likely though that Archibald Snr had died by now and Mary McLean was a widow by now..

So, I would think next challenge would be to try to find some links to family for Archibald McInnes and Mary McLean. We are not sure when Mary McLean died. If she died after 1855, statutory registration had started from 1855, hopefully her death cert would include confirmation on her parents' names.  Archibald, will be harder...

We have one potential registration so far in the OPRs for a child ( a girl) of Archibald McInnes and Mary McLean, a Giles https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTN1-NZG Hard to guess possible parents' names for Archibald and Mary with Scottish naming pattern from this really (many links for this, this is but one www.halmyre.abel.co.uk/Family/naming.htm).

Looking at the index on Scotlands People, there is likely one other couple around this time with the same names. However, they start to have children too young to fit with the age of Mary McLean in 1841 (from 1794 in Tyree, Argyll).

Monica  :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 29 January 16 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Ideas really for further research...

If the 1827 christening entry for a Giles McInnes to an Archibald McInnes and Mary Mclean is connected to Charles, I saw this 1841 census entry yesterday. Adding here for ref really:

John Mcinnes 60 agr. lab
Giles Mcinnes 50
Address: Cainban, Kilbrandon and Kilchattan (same parish as that 1827 christening mentioned already).

As mentioned, 1841 is always a little tricky... Ages for those over 15 were supposed to be rounded down to the nearest 5 years. Those under 15 years old were supposed to be recorded with their actual age.

The John above could have been aged 60-64 and Giles 50-54 in 1841.

HOWEVER...the names (first and surnames) can and were common in these small communities. At this point really, we don't know who Charles' maternal or paternal grandparents were  :-\

Monica

Offline cattao

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 30 January 16 00:24 GMT (UK) »
Monica has brought this conversation to my attention re my quote from a while back, re my research into the McInnes family at Ballachulish.  I know I was doing some research for a friend and reading through the posts the names all ring a bell!  BUT problem is I cannot remember who I was helping out!  I'm in the Southern Highlands of NSW so it was probably for a local person. It will eventually come to me but I thought I would add my voice and perhaps help malcolmjm when I remember!
Maxine
Gray, Madigan, Purdy, Churchwood.

Offline malcolmjm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 30 January 16 06:26 GMT (UK) »
Monica, this information and help is beyond my expectations. I have a photo of a couple but need to confirm if it is Archibald Campbell McInnes and his wife Louisa [ nee Favel ] or Charles McInnes and his wife being either Una or Mary, it might clear up who his first wife was. I am presently waiting for confirmation on that and will advise as soon as I can, in the mean time I will digest all of this information and get back to you.
I also have a photo of Charles McInnes's headstone in the Galong cemetery