Author Topic: City of London Police Stations/ Houses  (Read 676 times)

Offline stuttm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
City of London Police Stations/ Houses
« on: Thursday 28 January 16 07:12 GMT (UK) »
Greetings
Is anyone able to identify the police stations or officers 'barracks' for the 1860s and 1870s.  I've noticed there are now 4  stations but I'm thinking things might have been different 150 yrs ago. 

This is all part of trying to track down  Newman Christopher STUTTER  1847-1881 and his 3 wives, two of whom died while he was a policeman 'living in Aldgate" -   Elizabeth (ne SAVAGE) in 1872  and Ann (ne POTTER) in 1873.
At his inquest it was reported that he was discharged fm CoL (not the Met) Police  on 26 Mar 1874
Thanks

Offline stevew101

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stotfold Boy
    • View Profile
Re: City of London Police Stations/ Houses
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 January 16 07:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat,

The Divisions within the City of London Police in the 1880's were as follows... I am assuming they were probably the same as the period you are looking at ....

Cripplegate - More Lane

Snow hill

Cloak Lane (* Cloak Lane Police Station closed 1965)

Tower Street - Seething Lane

Bridwell Place

Bishopsgate - Bishopsgate Street (* 1865 City Police Hospital located at Bishopsgate Police Station)

Headquarters - From 1840
26 Old Jewry (* Closed 2001)

Source - Dickens Dictionary of London - 1888

Have a look at the link below.  You may find some useful information at the National Archives.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/rd/85a92b13-b01f-4bd7-bef3-568b9e9359b7

Hope that helps.

Steve
**Please ask if you wish to modify my restores**    HFD Turner-Warwick-Gentle-Game-Harris-Howard-Clements-Gould-James-Lee-Cooper-Castle-Pallet-Hide-Barns-Watts-Swain-Shatbolt-Bonfield-Gundrill-Izard-Impy-Ellis-Carter-Honour BFD Gentle-Tansley-Bly-Rowney-Wilshire-Fisher-Tingay-Ivory-Clark SFK Jay-Norman-Ship ESX Jay-Mann-Gould-Fletcher MIDDX Roberts-Longe AUSTRALIA - Henry Gentle 1795-1865

Offline stuttm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: City of London Police Stations/ Houses
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 January 16 09:10 GMT (UK) »
thank you for that Steve