Author Topic: Donald McInnes from Taree. NSW  (Read 6821 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Donald McInnes from Taree. NSW
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 31 January 16 05:53 GMT (UK) »
Yes,  I am doubtful about the Maitland family, and yes, I agree, it is not as easy as looking up indexes .... NSW BDM indexes are only an aid, they point to actual BDM official documents.  You need to scrutinise the information recorded on the document. 

Official transcriptions for the NSW BDM documents are reliable, and are well recognised by family history buffs as an excellent way to obtain the information from the official records without getting the watermarked certified document required by say the NSW Supreme Court in sorting a legal dispute over the distribution of a deceased estate. 

Cheers,  JM 
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Dunganess

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 31 January 16 10:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone who has contributed to my quest!
If you find any more info please post it for me, I certainly have a bit to go through.

Offline jj227

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 08 January 18 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I'm descended from Donald's brother John McInnes who died 31 October 1947 aged 88 and am having the same trouble identifying the birth details.

I known of another brother James McInnes who died 11 September 1922 aged 71

Both John and James have John McInnes and Mary McPherson listed on their death certificates.

John is my Great Great Grandfather and he is supposed to be born at Bo Bo Creek about 1858

regards Ann

Offline Dunganess

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 02:39 GMT (UK) »
I have been told that my relative Donald McInnes, used his second name when he moved to Townsville? Is there an Albert Donald McInnes? His marriage certificate records him as Donald?

Offline jj227

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 09 January 18 09:54 GMT (UK) »
I can remember my mother saying that she heard her Great Grandfather John talked about his brother who went to Townsville and he only ever called him Donald.

Offline Dunganess

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Could you list John McInnes's siblings so I can check them with my records and try to find the link. His obituary mentions a number of brothers and that he came from the Clarence River area where he delivered meat. He also owned race horses in Townsville and raced them in South Africa.
Any information would be appreciated.

Offline jj227

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 12:08 GMT (UK) »
John McInnes (b: Bo BO Creek, Wingham, NSW; D: 31 October 1947 - Gymea Bay, NSW aged 88) m: 31 August 1881 at Jones Island, Manning River, NSW to Margaret Hinten (b: 17 April 1861 - Purfleet, Manning River, NSW; D: 17 March 1924 - Lakemba, NSW)

It was this John that my mother remembered meeting and he was her Great Grandfather.

Obit: Manning River Times and Advocate for the Northern Coast Districts of New South Wales (Taree, NSW : 1898 - 1954), Wednesday 5 November 1947, page 2
A former well known and very highly respected resident of the Manning in the person of Mr. J. A. Mc-Innes, of 58 Ellesmere Road, Gymea Bay, passed away on Friday last, at the age of 88 years. The late Mr. Mclnnes. resided for many years on Jones' Island, at the Croki-Coopernook turn, which was known as 'McInnes' Corner.' The property was purchased by Mr. Reg. Emerton. He had many friends throughout the district. Mr. McInnes dealt extensively in cattle whilst on the Manning. Many years ago Mr. Mclnnes moved to Sydney. Several years ago he had both legs amputated. A son (George) predeceased his father. Surviving members of the family are: Mr. Jas. McInnes (retired teacher), Mr. John McInnes (Ross Glen), Mr. Hugh McInnes (Sydney), Mrs. Lappin (Sydney), Mrs. Newton Lee (Sydney), Mrs. Buttsworth (Sydney), Miss Amy Mc-Innes (Sydney), and Mrs. Border (Sydney).

James McInnes (b:  Miilers Forest near Maitland, NSW; D: 11 September 1922 - Kendall, NSW aged 71) m: 1875, aged 25, to Mary Miller Dun

John's son John McKinnon McInnes and James's son John Allan McInnes, were first cousins who ran a saw mill at Ross Glenn near Kendall.

I know that there Was Donald who went to Townsville.

According to some obituaries on Trove there was a Hugh McInnes (D: 1906 - Obituary states: He was a son of the late Mr. John Mclnnes, who for 25 years resided on Taree Estate. Mrs. Bignell, of Taree, was deceased's only sister, but he had several brothers, viz., Allan, who is at present in South Africa ; Angus and Alex., both in Sydney ; John and James, of Laurieton ; and Daniel, on the Clarence) this makes me suspect that Donald may be Allan.

The John and James of Laurieton are the two above, with John being my Great Great Grandfather.

regards Ann