Author Topic: Help with a few entries on my Grandfather's RAF records please....?  (Read 3430 times)

Offline RRTB

• RootsChat Senior
  • Berkshire Yeomanry - my father's WW2 regiment.
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a few entries on my Grandfather's RAF records please....?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 29 January 16 21:02 GMT (UK) »
65/45 WSI for 6years ? 3/9/45

Your "?" says 'wef' which stands for "With Effect From". "WSI" is War Service Increment (http://www.lancaster-archive.com/bc_slang.htm )

I don't know what the 65/45 refers to, but I would hazard a guess at it being an official document reference number or something like that.

Also, judging by his service I would have thought that he would have been entitled to the War Medal as well, yes. The criteria for it is:

Quote from: British Military Medals - by Peter Duckers
1939-45 War Medal. The standard medal (as opposed to Star) for 1939-45 service, this cupro-nickel award was granted for twenty-eight days' operational or non-operational service in the full-time armed services.

I also thought you might be interested in this if you haven't already seen it: http://www.historyofwar.org/air/units/RAF/222_wwII.html I've just read through it and it mentions virtually everywhere that is on your grandfather's record.

I was very interested to note the dates of his hospitalisation in August 1940 during the Battle of Britain. It would suggest to me that he had perhaps been shot down? Certainly something serious must have happened to him if he was in hospital from 6/8/40 to 29/11/40 and then transferred to the 1 Airmens' Convalescent Depot in Blackpool on 29/11/40. And after that he went back up again? What a brave man.

RRTB

Offline RRTB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 29 January 16 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Going back to the War Medal question: if it's not on that Medal Card and there isn't a piece of paper from the Government thanking him for his war service on one side and listing the medals enclosed therewith on the other, you could always contact the MoD Medal Office to look into it by sending them all the details you have. I did this last year concerning a medal I discovered by chance my father had been entitled to claim (but never did). Once they had done their background verification, the Medal Office agreed that he was indeed entitled to it and it arrived last November. 70 years in the waiting, but at last I have the full set of medals Dad was entitled to. So it could well be worth your while investigating.

RRTB

Offline TylerGib

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 30 January 16 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi RRTB

Ta again for looking. With regards to the hospitalisation he had, it wasn't because he was shot down (not quite that brave or gallant!), he was a LAC F/Mech trained on notably the Spitfire Merlins (of a couple of different marks) and then the Sabre Merlin, which I presume was for the 184 sqn Hurricane S.E. In his Training Section it dates that at 1944. So yes I suppose that is quite a while to be in hospital for, I'll try and call my Aunt in Tasmania later to see if she knows anything about it.

One of the peculiar things is that it doesn't mention when he came home briefly in 1943, as my above mentioned Aunt was born in April 1944. Cheeky lad. But I think that was more to do with my Gran telling me once that it was to get out of the WAAF!

I digress though. I will take a look at the medal links provided and see what they come up with. My Dad did mention he remembers seeing them when he lived in Doncaster with his Ma and Pa, so he definitely got them, but as to where they are now 40 plus years on and was emigration trip to Oz is any ones guess. I intend on making a collection of Grandad's time-line for my Dad of his time in the RAF as he never really got to grow old together, on being in the RAF and the other as I mentioned, settled in Oz. Here's hoping the medal guys can put me on the right track as to whether he was entitled to the War Medal so I can get a collection.

Thanks again for you help.

Offline RRTB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 30 January 16 21:43 GMT (UK) »
No problem, my pleasure. If you have a look at this link you will find a lot of detail which may help you.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-medal-or-veterans-badge/apply-for-a-medal

Replacement medals can be issued, but proof of entitlement is obviously needed.

RRTB