Author Topic: Quency Dilyan western australia  (Read 2182 times)

Offline AustraliaJack

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Quency Dilyan western australia
« on: Thursday 28 January 16 23:29 GMT (UK) »
hoping to find any birth death or marriage on Quency Dilyan

Quency Dilyan,  an Aboriginal man, who helped John Forrest and H.S. Ranford on their expeditions.  In 2003, the grave was restored by the Royal Western Australian Historical Society and was part of an Indigenous Culture Grant.  Although this is not the actual site where Dilyan lays to rest, the general region is the whereabouts of his murder.

Dilyan an aboriginal, belonged to a tribe, which lived within the boundaries of Wandering and Williams. Dilyan travelled with explorer, Sir John Forrest and was so highly regarded that he presented him with a silver mounted and inscribed fowling piece (gun), as well as naming a spring at the Cambridge Gulf in the North-West of Western Australia after him. Dilyan, rendered sterling service on a survey expedition, led by Mr. R.S. Ranford, which visited Cambridge Gulf in the 1880`s and marked out the town of Wyndham, as well as effecting other important surveys.

B.S Ranford and Jack Dowsett later employed Dilyan as a shepherd for his notable tracking skills. Charlie Farmer was later informed of his performance and likewise, employed him. Whilst working for Farmer, he was sent to town to obtain some goods. On return, he was stabbed to death by a member of a feuding tribe.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Quency Dilyan western australia
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 January 16 06:16 GMT (UK) »
I will ask for this thread to be moved to the Australia board
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline AustraliaJack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 January 16 08:04 GMT (UK) »
thank u

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 January 16 09:00 GMT (UK) »
As an indigenous Australian (if he was full blood), I would think it unlikely that his birth was registered (but that is just a guess)

. Have you checked Trove for mentions of him?
http://trove.nla.gov.au/
( you might need to be flexible with the spelling of his name in any searches)

Offline AustraliaJack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 January 16 09:27 GMT (UK) »
yeah iv have been searching trove for the last 2 years found a few helpful articals but thats about it

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 January 16 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Have you gone through the latest Trove uploads as per the media release I posted to your other thread?

Now there's more at TROVE  :)

http://www.aiatsis.gov.au/news-and-events/news/aiatsis-trove  media release AIATSIS on Trove
Monday, 25 January 2016 -
Around 60,000 records released via Trove.  These records are important for family history research, native title claims and the establishment of keeping places in remote communities.

Read more on the NLA's Trove blog.

https://www.nla.gov.au/blogs/trove/2016/01/19/aiatsis-on-trove

Cheers,  JM

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 February 16 02:28 GMT (UK) »
"Dilyan an aboriginal, belonged to a tribe, which lived within the boundaries of Wandering and Williams"

What is the name of the tribe?
Best to ask them, they may have records/memories

Go to a WA Library and order this, see what is in it?
http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/22785469?q=%22john+forrest%22dilyan&l-format=Unpublished&c=collection&versionId=27625403
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline AustraliaJack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 February 16 02:42 GMT (UK) »
He's tribe was binjarup which the name for the town pinjarra was from families have oral history but nothing on paper to give us a dob or death he was the survivor of the battle/massacre of pinjarra which happened in the 1830s along with a few others dilyan was a child at the time Jack Abraham aka diddong was the one who told the stories of dilyan Jack is my 3rd great granny