Author Topic: Death - Hugh STEWART – after Dec. 1, 1885 - can not find it!  (Read 2089 times)

Offline Kingussie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death - Hugh STEWART – after Dec. 1, 1885 - can not find it!
« on: Thursday 28 January 16 23:42 GMT (UK) »
I have looked for Hugh STEWART’s death in the online ScotlandsPeople indexes without success.  If he chose to end his misery and an unidentified body washed up on shore how was that death recorded in the indexes? 

If you think you might be able to help, here is what we know about Hugh:

Hugh STEWART was born about August of 1846 in Port Ellen, Kildalton, the son of tinsmith John STEWART and Mary McCAIG.  He has been found on all census records 1851-1881.  No baptism has been found.  At age 17 (in 1864) he enlisted into the British Army at Greenock giving age and place of birth.  He was medically discharged 1876 (tuberculosis).  Upon discharge he was going to Calton, Glasgow where siblings were living.

Hugh gave his occupation as Mason’s labourer on his marriage and on most census records.

Hugh STEWART married Catherine McEWING in Campbeltown December 1, 1885.  Their son Robert McEwing Stewart was born in 1886.  Mother Catherine Stewart was the informant on the registration.  Both Catherine and son Robert (her only child) used the McEwing surname the remainder of their lives.  Catherine is shown as unmarried on the census in 1891 and married in 1901. I have not yet found her in the 1911 census although I have tried.  She spent the remainder of her life near her McEwing family in Machrihanish near Campbeltown.  On her death registration in 1921 the informant (her brother) said that Catherine Stewart was married.  I don’t think the McEwing family knew if Hugh Stewart was dead or alive.  He was never spoken of and his son never met him.

Having been discharged in 1876 due to his T.B. he may not have lived much beyond the marriage December 1, 1885. 

Hugh Stewart’s siblings appear in Glasgow Poor Law records in the 1870s and 1880s.  Although the information contained was valuable it does not refer to a relative named Hugh Stewart. 

Hugh is my friend’s grandfather.  I’d like to be able to help my friend complete her grandfather’s story.  Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Donna Fraser
Canada

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Death - Hugh STEWART – after Dec. 1, 1885 - can not find it!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 January 16 03:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kingussie,
     Have you found the death of a Hugh Stewart at Campbeltown, Argyllshire, 1891 aged 47yrs? (ScotlandsPeople) Might be worth checking.
               Regards,     Dod.
"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline Kingussie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 January 16 04:23 GMT (UK) »
Yes, thanks Dod.  We ruled that particular death registration out earlier.  That Hugh was the son of John Stewart & Margaret Stewart m.s. McCallum.  He was baptised 12 September 1841 in Campbeltown.  His brother-in-law Duncan McSporren was the informant.  The family were peat-badgers.  Unfortunately it doesn't fit on all accounts but sure looks good at first glance with name and location and close age. 

Thank you for reminding me of this death registration.  It was good to have a fresh look at it.
Donna

Offline Doddie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 January 16 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kingussie, just a thought, have you tried checking under the Stuart variation of the surname? My maternal side is Stewart. When I started researching this family line I found both versions of the surname used quite liberally (and without rhyme or reason). In the 1871 census for Lasswade, Midlothian some of the children were listed as being 'Stewart' and others 'Stuart'. By the 1881 census the head of the household (my great great grandfather) had presumably decided to go for some continuity and had listed all the children under Stewart. I have also managed to track down members of my Stewart family who had gone to live in the USA under the Stuart variation.

Regards

Doddie

Offline Kingussie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 January 16 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Doddie, yes tried surname variations too. That is an important point to be aware of.  We have been looking for years for this man. I've tried English censuses too. I doubt if he emigrated as he was not a well man.
Grandpa where are you?
Kingussie

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 February 16 00:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kingussie,

Likely this won't help nor hinder, but I think Hugh's mother's maiden name is more likely to be MCUAIG rather than MCAIG. I could be wrong, but MCUAIG is a very common surname on the island of Islay where Port Ellen is located.

Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 February 16 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.  I have seen the mother's surname as McCoag, McCuaig and McCuig and have now added MCUAIG to the list.  Every hint helps but we still can't find Hugh Stewart's death. 
Donna aka Kingussie

Posted on behalf of Kingaussie
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk