Author Topic: William INGLIS b 1806 son of James INGLIS & Elspet ROBERTSON  (Read 1730 times)

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William INGLIS b 1806 son of James INGLIS & Elspet ROBERTSON
« on: Friday 29 January 16 17:34 GMT (UK) »
William INGLIS was born in Portsoy in 1806 the illegitimate son of James INGLIS shoemaker & Elspet ROBERTSON.

William INGLIS marr Margaret STEVENSON in 1833 Forglen and died 1878 in Alvah. I've found a good deal about this family, but nothing that helps proves the identity of his parents.

However, I am fast coming to the conclusion that this Elspet ROBERTSON is my 3xgtgdmother in Portsoy who, after another 'lapse', eventually was 'persuaded' by the Kirk Session to marry there and then John GEDDES in 1809 in time for their first child to be born. But so far, any evidence is circumstantial.

I am also thinking that the father was the Fordyce-born James INGLIS shoemaker who married Helen BRODIE in Marnoch in 1810, setting up shop in Aberchirder until his death before 1855. If so, his census details suggest he is the son born in Braehaugh, Fordyce of William INGLIS & Elspet MILNE. Where Braehaugh (or Breach) is beside the dwelling called Robertson's Croft.

Any of these names/families known to anyone?

Two other players are the witnesses to William INGLIS' baptism, namely William MITCHEL & Archibald MITCHELL. That suddenly gets interesting, and might become the evidence I need, because the mother of my Elspet ROBERTSON is believed to be Janet MOIR who married (the same?) Archibald MITCHELL in 1797, having had another illeg child by his brother Andrew MITCHELL, the baker in Portsoy.

It took a lot of effort (far too much, some would say!) to suss out the MOIR / MITCHELL / ROBERTSON situation, so I do have info about Andrew MITCHELL especially. But does anyone have more on these two witnesses?

Offline GeorgeinDarwin

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William INGLIS b 1806 son of James INGLIS & Elspet ROBERTSON
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 July 20 16:06 BST (UK) »
I have lots from William Inglis and Elspet Milne linking to myself 8 generations later. Interesting to note that James had 7 (legitimate) sons after 1806 (1811-1829) and none were named William after his father. I am George Richard James Inglis. The James naming has been carried through all generations.