Author Topic: Help required with my grandfather John Gardiner please  (Read 3764 times)

Offline Shiers01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help required with my grandfather John Gardiner please
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 30 January 16 12:59 GMT (UK) »
isobelw

Thank you for your help, having read through your posts I would agree that the John that CaroleW found is probably not connected.

Regards

Offline Shiers01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 30 January 16 13:19 GMT (UK) »
One further snippet of information, I found was a newspaper entry in a local Blackpool paper on the 16th January 1918 where John was fined 40 shillings for being AWOL from the army. Unfortunately, the story ends with John being handed back to the military. Information on his regiment would have been a great help.

It might explain how he ended up in Blackpool. I searched the 1911 census for England but could not find him. However, if he joined the army in 1914/1915 he may well have done his training at Blackpool.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 30 January 16 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Findmypast have a 1922 Royal Artillery Attestation record for him. Names his wife as Mary Hamilton with correct date of marriage and lists children with dates of birth. Gives an address in Blackpool but says he was born Glasgow, Ayrshire. If you need more detailed info. let me know. Appears to have ended his service in 1923.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline Shiers01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 30 January 16 14:23 GMT (UK) »
isobelw,
This is very good news. I have allowed my subscription to Findmypast lapse as I was not getting anywhere. I think I will have to renew it now !!

The children ( in order ) hopefully are Francis b1909, Isobel b1916, Molly b1919, Dorothy, b1920, Lily b1921, George b1922.

The address at this time would be ( I think ) 5 Jameson St Blackpool.

If there is any further information I would appreciate it. If I can get details of his war service this may help me find his family.

Thank you again

Regards

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 30 January 16 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Attested 9/3/1922 at Blackpool for the Royal Artillery Territorial force. Joined for one year. Age 30 years 2 months, occ Labourer, place of birth Glasgow, Ayrshire. Previous service 2 years 87 days with RFA ( Royal Field Artillery?) number 248022. Wife Mary Hamilton married 13/12/1917. Children - Mary 8/6/1918, Doris 5/12/1919, Lily 1/2/1921 and George 17/3/1922. Address 5 Jameson Street, Blackpool. Service ended 8/3/1923.
Isobel

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 30 January 16 15:55 GMT (UK) »
I think the following birth might be a possibility-
1892 John Gardner  Glasgow (Bridgeton)  644/01 0147
This family look as if they appear as Gardiner in Bridgeton in 1901 and father is John ( although his occupation is down as Sewing Inspector). The ref number 0147 suggests this entry is for a birth early in the year which might fit with the January birthdate.
Isobel

Offline Shiers01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 30 January 16 16:33 GMT (UK) »
I have seen the census entry before but the occupation did not fit so I had my doubts. However, the GARDNER record seems a possibility. I do not have time today but I will download the record tomorrow from Scotlandspeople and I will let you now what I find.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 30 January 16 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have looked at every 1891/1901 entry for a John Gard** with a birthyear 1890 - 1894 who has a father called John and none match the occupation shown on the 1917 marriage cert.

However - his father could have changed his occupation by 1917 which adds to our problems!!
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 30 January 16 18:13 GMT (UK) »
I think the following birth might be a possibility-
1892 John Gardner  Glasgow (Bridgeton)  644/01 0147

Unfortunately, I don't think this is your man. This John Gardner was, indeed, born in Jan 1892 (the register scan is a poor quality one, and it's not possible to see the exact date - looks like 25) - he was registered as John Ferguson, the illegitimate son of Duncan Ferguson, forester and Jean Gardner, domestic servant, of Aberfoyle. There's an RCE attached to the record which says that the birth was legitimised when his parents married in Mar 1892.

There's a gravestone in the kirkyard at Aberfoyle for the family: John Ferguson was killed in action at the Somme on 23 Oct 1916, aged 24. His father, Duncan Ferguson died in 1947 and his mother Jean Gardner in 1964.

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.