Author Topic: South Australian Criminal Records  (Read 14168 times)

Offline crystal50

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: South Australian Criminal Records
« Reply #126 on: Monday 31 July 17 09:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Bradley for information on another fractured family.. Yes I believe that Horace Snr married her out of obligation only 3 days after Horace Jnr birth. I also believe that Caroline had courage to stand by her beliefs and act on them in the interest of women that were suffering. After I found out about her convictions I read about the history of abortions performed by Madams in Australia which was sad reading, given that women quite often had many children, with little or no support offered to them and many were left destitute as a result. Caroline I believe could relate to their suffering and tried to help them......
Looking at her birth certificate it lists her siblings as: Alice Mary 5, Ellen 3, Frederick William 2

Her marriage certificate in 1905 to Adolphe states her name as Caroline Emma Mutton McPhillaNNy and that she is a spinster of 44 yrs... Name and Surname of brides father: John McPhillaNNy....maybe they adopted her at some stage ??

Her son's death certificate:  Frederick Byron Carver 10/01/ 1961 lists as parents: Frederick William Carver, Tobacconist, Adelaide and mother as being Caroline Emma McPhellamy
More for my puzzle I guess.... My grandfather Frederick Byron always said that we were related to the McPhillammy family of Bathurst and died believing this to be true....

I have come to the conclusion in this search that either the Mutton family knew the McPhillamy family ( both well known in Bathurst area) and that she worked for or was adopted by them !!

She bore a child Horace and had to give him up as no means of support was given to her.... Though she married his father 3 days later, I think it was out of obligation only... Many warrants issued for him for desertion. Also note that there were outstanding warrants for her in NSW

Though she didn't or couldn't divorce him, she left the state to live in SA where she met William Carver and had 4 children to him. Couldn't marry him as she was legally still married so maybe lived in a defacto relationship with him..........yet in 1905 she married Adolphe using the surname McPhillaNNy maybe to avoid arrest for bigamy ??
And finally she ended up in prison for manslaughter where she refused food and eventually died... Sad and tragic life but thats how I see it from all the documents I have.
Cain-USA to Australia
Carver - Australia
Nawell- Australia and beyond
Knight- Limerick to Australia
Stuart- Scotland to Australia
Aitken- Scotland to Australia
Driscoll
Fitzpatrick - County Cork to Australia
Crooks-Australia
Gruen or Green- Austria to Australia