Author Topic: South Australian Criminal Records  (Read 14163 times)

Offline crystal50

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: South Australian Criminal Records
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 30 January 16 03:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi David  My main aim in accessing these records is to hopefully gain some background information on my GG grandmother. Was hoping there maybe a dossier or some information regarding her link with the McPhillamy family maybe in there as much as her early history... that's what I am looking for !! When doing my research into family history and compiling my family tree, I can NOT go past the fact that she is a Mutton but her reference to McPhillamy is something I am trying to unravel.   I am NOT interested in her crimes as they are there for all to see in Trove
Cain-USA to Australia
Carver - Australia
Nawell- Australia and beyond
Knight- Limerick to Australia
Stuart- Scotland to Australia
Aitken- Scotland to Australia
Driscoll
Fitzpatrick - County Cork to Australia
Crooks-Australia
Gruen or Green- Austria to Australia

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 30 January 16 03:20 GMT (UK) »
Deleted

Thank you Crystal. Maybe that needs to be searched and understood in NSW. Not sure what info the Prison records would have in helping your quest :)
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 30 January 16 03:33 GMT (UK) »
Ok, I have just finished reading through the linked thread, all 18 pages of it. Whew!
Just my two cents worth. 44 is fairly old to be marrying for the first time in those days. What became of the four Carver children? Did they live with the Marval's, or were they put into care? This is an avenue worth pursuing. You have a birth record for a Caroline Emma Mutton, yet here in SA she uses the name McPhillamy. Could she have been in a de facto relationship with a McPhillamy, as she was with William Carver? If so, then perhaps that would could account for the "cold shoulder" you got from the McPhillamy family in Bathurst. Did you end up writing to them, as suggested on the other thread? Given her use of assumed names, I would tend to think she has "adopted" the McPhillamy name.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline crystal50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 30 January 16 03:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for reply,

The 4 Carver children:  One died in battle in WW1 and the others all grew up in Western Australia and also served in WW1 ( Caroline is not listed on any of the NOK records)
On the births listed in SA for Carver she is listed as a Mutton, not McPhillamy?  My grandfather Frederick Byron birth certificate in SA lists his mother as Caroline Emma Mutton. 
Yes, I have tried contacting the McPhillamy family on numerous occasions.  I think I got the cold shoulder because of the type of crimes she committed in SA. 
If she " adopted" the McPhillamy name, then that would stop me accessing records as there is no proof of this it seems.....but thank you all for your guidance once again...... This has been one hell of an exhaustive search that constantly leads me nowhere  :-[
Cain-USA to Australia
Carver - Australia
Driscoll
Crooks-Australia

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 30 January 16 04:16 GMT (UK) »
At least you can say with certainty that it is your great grandmother who married Adolphe Marval in 1905, and had had children previously with William Carver, the tobacconist. It is the matter of her maiden name that is the stumbling block. If I were a betting man, I would go with Mutton.

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline crystal50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 30 January 16 04:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,
Yes the birth is the stumbling block.... grandfathers b/c listed her as Mutton and yet his d/c lists her as McPhillamy... I will send all documents away and see whether they accept them, fingers crossed here..... Will let you all know what the outcome is ok
Makes me wonder how many of us doing research come across these stumbling blocks, ancestors evading the law and changing their names to whatever.... They were obviously in survival mode and not ever thinking about us poor descendants trying to trace them lol  ;D
Cain-USA to Australia
Carver - Australia
Driscoll
Crooks-Australia

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 30 January 16 06:50 GMT (UK) »
Went to South Australia:
Gave birth to 4 children ( my grandfather b1884) but never married father of these children William Carver. 
<snip>

On Caroline death certificate ( known as Madam Marval) it lists 1 living child and 2 deceased where as she had 3 children still living ............I have documents but no documents that list McPhillamy on them at all...
Deleted. Information provided by Cando on other thread. One born January one in December

I agree this is a difficult search and confusion reigns. My bet is she is Mutton dressed up as PhilLAMy

Sorry , really really sorry :P
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 30 January 16 06:55 GMT (UK) »
Well done David. Sam Kekovich would be proud of you.  ;D

Offline crystal50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 30 January 16 07:25 GMT (UK) »
There were 4 children born to William Carver and Caroline Muttton as follows:

1884: Frederick Byron ( grand dad)
1884: Frederick William .... death 1884 reg no 134/26
My guess is they were twins maybe
1886: Sydney Waldegrave
1888: Walter Cole reg No 423/158

All with the surname of Carver though William Carver was married to someone else and therefore could not marry.......same as Caroline !! Hope this helps  ;)
Cain-USA to Australia
Carver - Australia
Driscoll
Crooks-Australia