Author Topic: South Australian Criminal Records  (Read 14170 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: South Australian Criminal Records
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 30 January 16 02:31 GMT (UK) »
I have SA Police Gazettes 1862-1947 but unable to help today as I'm about to go out.

I'll try and do a search tonight.

Cheers
Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 30 January 16 02:32 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked the various family history organizations in NSW, to see if they hold any SA prison records? The Society of Australian Genealogists might.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline crystal50

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 30 January 16 02:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Cando.   I have copious material on Caroline Emma Mutton aka Wilshire aka Marval. But to provide correct documentation to access criminal records,  I hit stumbling blocks as she changes her name on whim it seems.  I was told that when she was born in 1861 to John Mutton and Margaret Storey ( have birth certificate), its possible she was raised by the McPhillamy family of Bathurst and thats why McPhillamy name is listed on my grandfathers death certificate........instead of Mutton ??  Will this stop me accessing her records as it appears ?
Cain-USA to Australia
Carver - Australia
Nawell- Australia and beyond
Knight- Limerick to Australia
Stuart- Scotland to Australia
Aitken- Scotland to Australia
Driscoll
Fitzpatrick - County Cork to Australia
Crooks-Australia
Gruen or Green- Austria to Australia

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 30 January 16 02:38 GMT (UK) »
Previous thread for general info and to save repititon:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=589162.0

I had tried SA Archives in the past, but they told me they don't hold them... I have also been told that I should provide a documentary trail that leads gg grandmother to myself.

I suggest you try again and refer them to their website - you (or someone) would need to visit in person.   Agree with JM that the records may be restricted but you should find their access policy on the website.

Debra  :)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 30 January 16 02:39 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for reply. I had tried SA Archives in the past, but they told me they don't hold them... I have also been told that I should provide a documentary trail that leads gg grandmother to myself. No member of her direct family is living but documents that I have can be confusing as she had many aliases........
Born:  Caroline Emma Mutton 1861 Bathurst NSW ( document I have)
Married:  Horace Wilshire then deserted him and child ( NSW Police Gazette)
Went to South Australia:
Gave birth to 4 children ( my grandfather b1884) but never married father of these children William Carver. 
In 1905 she married Adolphe Marval. He died in 1935. ( have document but lists never married before, which is incorrect)
On my grandfathers death certificate it lists Caroline Emma Mutton McPhillamy as his mother.??
On Caroline death certificate ( known as Madam Marval) it lists 1 living child and 2 deceased where as she had 3 children still living ............I have documents but no documents that list McPhillamy on them at all...  Now how do or where do I go to link all of this above
Yes, her crimes and death are on Trove under Madam Caroline Emma Marval

Her marriage to Adolphe Marval has her listed as Caroline Emma Mutton McPhillamy.

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline crystal50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 30 January 16 02:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your searches on my behalf..  I have her marriage to Adolphe that lists her surname as McPhillamy.  However I have exhausted all Trove searches for her link with the McPhilliamy family.  Does not exist and NSW BDM lists only Caroline Emma Mutton born 1861.  There is a McPhillamy female child born in 1860 or 1861 ( going by memory) but that is stillborn so not her.

My grandfather and his brothers were all christened and named Carver ( but she never married him)
Frederick Byron Carver was my grandfather born in SA 1884

I have been told by SA Authorities that if I can provide the trail from me to her, then I can have access to the records..........Its the McPhillamy? part of the trail I don't know what to do with ??
Cain-USA to Australia
Carver - Australia
Driscoll
Crooks-Australia

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 30 January 16 02:52 GMT (UK) »
I am still working my way through the thread linked by Dundee (thanks Debra!). Is there any chance Caroline's mother, Margaret, married a McPhillamy as a widow?

Offline crystal50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 30 January 16 02:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again for reply.  Have not found any connection between the Muttons and the McPhillamys.  Both families came from the Bathurst NSW district and apparently knew each other but no marriage is listed between the two families that I have found
cheers Crystal
Cain-USA to Australia
Carver - Australia
Driscoll
Crooks-Australia

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 30 January 16 03:08 GMT (UK) »
I guess the question that came to me is WHY do you want to see the Death In Custody records? What is it you believe is in those that will advance your search further?

:)
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072