Author Topic: Adopted son of Florence Edith Davis.  (Read 2585 times)

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Adopted son of Florence Edith Davis.
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 18:57 GMT (UK) »
It's at St Stephen, Tredegar Road, Bow 4/10/1896 born 14/7/1896

Abode given as 2 Northampton Rd, Clerkenwell - The Surprise, thx to pubshistory

Still there, now The Bowler, Very close to LMA if you wanted a quick half after checking the Workhouse records :-)
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline lizzieliza

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for those details.

We'll pop into LMA next time we are in town.

We have correspondence from William from his time at the Surprise Tavern, it was nice to be reminded of that.
Liz

Offline martinmj

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 19 February 16 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi. Just been reading this thread regarding the adopted son of Florence Edith Davis-came across it while searching online for William Eeles, a publican in Clerkenwell, then Battersea. ( The Surprise, and then the Cricketers).
My interest is that my mother Olive Joan 'Brown' was Florence Edith Davis' second child, born 1923 in North Weald Bassett, Essex-with her mother's address shown as 317 Battersea Park Road, Battersea.
No father is shown on the birth certificate.
A few years ago my daughter managed to link up with the family who Florence lived with until her death at the age of 86, and they discovered Florence had a daughter- and we discovered my Mum had a brother!
I am still in touch with Ann Brown, a member of the family who Florence lived with-and she is currently trying to find the history of Florence and the family who adopted Olive, William Edward and Daisy Florence Brown-and what, if anything, was the link between the Eeles and the Browns.. At this stage we are not clear if the Brown surname is a coincidence or not, but Florence certainly lived with member of the Eeles family until her death.

I'm sorry I can't throw any more light on what happened to Florence's son, but if our research throws up any more information, I will let you know.

I suspect that if the son survived into adulthood , he may have been as oblivious to his history as my mother was-she did not find out she was adopted until her mid 50's, and that she had a middle name ( Joan)! Unfortunately not all secrets come out at the time, and even my 'Gran' ( Mrs. Brown,Mum's adoptive mother) would not tell her who her real mother was, and sadly Mum died without finding out the whole story.
Regards
Mike