Author Topic: Richard MACELHENNEY, MCELHENNY, MCELHINNEY a stray; went to S.Africa perhaps.  (Read 477 times)

Offline landej

• RootsChat Extra
  • Searching for ancestors since 1966
    • View Profile
Struggling to find references to Richard Landers MacElhenney. I have his birth (Omagh 1887), marriage (to Martha O'Neill; Newry 1913) and the birth of their first child (Muriel Aideen; Newry 1913). I have both Census records 1901 and 1911. But then the trail goes cold. There are 2 Freemasons records on Ancestry for a Richard McElhenny, one for Newry and one for Dublin but the Dublin one mentions Lodge #77 which is the Newry lodge - does that mean he was transferred? The Dublin one says resigned 1937. The US is a possibility, but the Richard L McElhenny of California has a different middle name. There is a Family Search mini tree that has his brother Joseph Samuel dying in South Africa in 1976 maybe this is where I should look. Where would I find passenger lists to S Africa and any other records - there doesn't seem to be much online.
Any help appreciated.
Landers (Laois, Dublin, Mayo, Chicago, NZ......), McDowell (NI), Bass (Dublin), Boxall (Sussex), Marchant (London)