Author Topic: Agnes Aitken, please date Sydney photo  (Read 2017 times)

Offline leesmob

• RootsChat Extra
  • Clough family of Liversedge, W Yorkshire
    • View Profile
Agnes Aitken, please date Sydney photo
« on: Sunday 31 January 16 09:17 GMT (UK) »
I think this may be Agnes Aitken born 1841 in Sydney, Australia to Alexander Aitken and Agnes Crawford. Because of the awkward way she is holding her left hand (displaying her ring finger?) I wondered whether it may have been taken soon after she was widowed. Her partner, Alexander McGregor, (can't find a marriage) died in 1884, but it appears they were separated as the family seemed to have been unaware of his death until 1888 when they placed a memoriam notice in the newspaper. Several years later Agnes celebrated her 50th birthday, this lady looks around that age to me. Can anyone please date this?
SUFFOLK-Kerry, Buckle, Makens, Hayles/Hailes, Bond, Plummer
YORKSHIRE-Newsam, Ortton, Schofield, Gamewells/Gamwells, Windle, Kitson, Harford, Clough, Horton (Sheffield), Hartley (Sheffield), Pickles (Dewsbury)
SCOTLAND Lees (Fife, Edinburgh, Dundee), Meikle (W.Lothian), Paul, Small & Mann (Coupar Angus), Robertson (Blair Atholl), Thain & Pattullo (Dundee)
IRELAND Canavan
WILTSHIRE Flippence, Hibberd
LONDON Baldwin, Alvey, Jeffress
OXFORDSHIRE Jeffress (Henley on Thames)
BIRMINGHAM Horton, Ross

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Agnes Aitken, please date Sydney photo
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 January 16 09:35 GMT (UK) »
A Lomer was at George St after 1881

http://trove.nla.gov.au/people/496591?c=people
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 January 16 10:12 GMT (UK) »
My guess would be 1890s.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline AJ100

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 January 16 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Late 1880's at a guess, which would put the lady in her late 40's or possibly 50.

Regards

AJ

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 January 16 17:25 GMT (UK) »
AJ has it about right, mid-late 1880's possibly up to 1890 depending on how fashionable she was.
It may not be the lady in question.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 31 January 16 18:03 GMT (UK) »
I was going by the card stock with my date and I think it could fit with who the poster thinks she is...just my opinion  ::) ;D ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 31 January 16 18:25 GMT (UK) »
It would be unusual to see a bustle in the 1890's.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline relatedtoturnips

• --
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 31 January 16 18:26 GMT (UK) »
I think this may be Agnes Aitken born 1841 in Sydney, Australia to Alexander Aitken and Agnes Crawford. Because of the awkward way she is holding her left hand (displaying her ring finger?) I wondered whether it may have been taken soon after she was widowed. Her partner, Alexander McGregor, (can't find a marriage) died in 1884, but it appears they were separated as the family seemed to have been unaware of his death until 1888 when they placed a memoriam notice in the newspaper. Several years later Agnes celebrated her 50th birthday, this lady looks around that age to me. Can anyone please date this?

Some info for you about the photographer.

Albert Lomer

" Professional photographer and colourist of Brisbane, Sydney and Queensland who worked throughout the mid to late 19th century. A one-time partner of Andrew Chandler, Lomer's later clients included the painter Samuel Elyard.

professional photographer, worked in Melbourne before 1865 when he opened a studio at Sydney in partnership with Andrew Chandler . They advertised as being from W. Davies & Co. of Melbourne, where both had presumably trained. Their studio, The London Photographic Company, was at 419 George Street, next door to Lassetter’s ironmongery store. By February 1867 Lomer was continuing alone but promising that 'the business will be conducted in the same efficient manner and under the same liberal principles as hitherto’. He had reduced the old price for cartes-de-visite to two for 5s or 15s a dozen and sold cabinet and other portrait photographs 'beautifully coloured (on the premises) in oil or water’. Lomer appears to have been his own colourist, regularly advertising as both 'artist and photographer’ (which this normally signified). In 1872-73 Lomer was working at 57 Bourke Street, Melbourne. He then established a very successful Brisbane studio at 158 Queen Street which lasted from 1874 until 1905, although he apparently no longer ran it after 1880. Branch studios were opened in various parts of the colony: the Lomer studio at Mackay in 1887 (managed by J.P. Kemp), a studio at Toowoomba (1893-96) and one at Ipswich (1898-99). Lomer was again in Sydney in 1880-95. In April 1881 Albert Lomer’s Parlour Studios at 805 George Street opposite the railway terminus,'The Really Popular (and Cheap) Photographer’, was selling cartes-de-visite for ... "

Hope this helps.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 31 January 16 18:31 GMT (UK) »
It would be unusual to see a bustle in the 1890's.

Well I'm wearing outfits from the last decade  :P ;D ;D ;D

Carol