Author Topic: Agnes Aitken, please date Sydney photo  (Read 2018 times)

Offline leesmob

• RootsChat Extra
  • Clough family of Liversedge, W Yorkshire
    • View Profile
Re: Agnes Aitken, please date Sydney photo
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 31 January 16 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your opinions. It seems that the late 1880's is most likely so it could be Agnes. Is there anything to indicate she may be in mourning? I do think that her hand position may be significant as it looks so unnatural.
SUFFOLK-Kerry, Buckle, Makens, Hayles/Hailes, Bond, Plummer
YORKSHIRE-Newsam, Ortton, Schofield, Gamewells/Gamwells, Windle, Kitson, Harford, Clough, Horton (Sheffield), Hartley (Sheffield), Pickles (Dewsbury)
SCOTLAND Lees (Fife, Edinburgh, Dundee), Meikle (W.Lothian), Paul, Small & Mann (Coupar Angus), Robertson (Blair Atholl), Thain & Pattullo (Dundee)
IRELAND Canavan
WILTSHIRE Flippence, Hibberd
LONDON Baldwin, Alvey, Jeffress
OXFORDSHIRE Jeffress (Henley on Thames)
BIRMINGHAM Horton, Ross

Offline relatedtoturnips

• --
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 31 January 16 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your opinions. It seems that the late 1880's is most likely so it could be Agnes. Is there anything to indicate she may be in mourning? I do think that her hand position may be significant as it looks so unnatural.

You are correct about the hand. Her little finger looks unnaturally long in comparison to the others. Did she have any hand injurys?

Offline leesmob

• RootsChat Extra
  • Clough family of Liversedge, W Yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 01 February 16 00:39 GMT (UK) »
I don't know. She may not have been able to bend the finger because of injury, but if that is the case I would expect that she'd be likely to hide it. The hand arrangement appears to be deliberate to me.
SUFFOLK-Kerry, Buckle, Makens, Hayles/Hailes, Bond, Plummer
YORKSHIRE-Newsam, Ortton, Schofield, Gamewells/Gamwells, Windle, Kitson, Harford, Clough, Horton (Sheffield), Hartley (Sheffield), Pickles (Dewsbury)
SCOTLAND Lees (Fife, Edinburgh, Dundee), Meikle (W.Lothian), Paul, Small & Mann (Coupar Angus), Robertson (Blair Atholl), Thain & Pattullo (Dundee)
IRELAND Canavan
WILTSHIRE Flippence, Hibberd
LONDON Baldwin, Alvey, Jeffress
OXFORDSHIRE Jeffress (Henley on Thames)
BIRMINGHAM Horton, Ross