Author Topic: Migration from Kerry to NZ - Neylon Nelan Nailon etc  (Read 1242 times)

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Migration from Kerry to NZ - Neylon Nelan Nailon etc
« on: Sunday 31 January 16 12:16 GMT (UK) »
I have a great great grandmother, Mary Nellen (family also spelled the name Nailon or Nellin) who is reputed to come from Kerry. She seems to have immigrated to New Zealand in about 1864 at 18 or maybe 20 years of age, making her date of birth about 1844-1846. She seems to have come alone, although I can't be sure, because I have not found a ship for her.

Her death certificate states her mothers name was 'Nora'. I have looked on Irish Genealogy.ie and some surname maps and see that there is a bit of a spike in the Neylon/Nelan type names in Listowel. There are a few Norah/Honora Nelan/Nealon names there, but I have little info to go on.
Does anyone have Mary in their family, or know about others who came from Listowel or Kerry to New Zealand? were there any schemes operating? Cheers, Louise
Joyce & Black in Armagh/Down; Clarkson in Hull, East Riding; Paxton in Hull, Yorkshire; Lodge in Huddersfield and Liverpool; Shaw in Caistor, Lincolnshire; Noncon and Pope in London.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Migration from Kerry to NZ - Neylon Nelan Nailon etc
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 January 16 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dathai - now that is not bad at all! a possibility......I will fish around and see if anyone else from that area came to the south island of NZ around that time. I've looked and there were schemes operating - I was hoping to find an advert in the local paper. although travelling alone is not unheard of, younger women often came in groups or with sisters and cousins. There was a ship, the Sevilla, with a larger number of immigrant women from Clare (not Kerry) and one of them a Mary Neylon of the right age, but she may have a different mother.... I am still checking this from the NZ end. That's the trouble with basing origins from tiny bits of information on death certificates, which is all I have to go on at present!
Thanks for your help, Louise
Joyce & Black in Armagh/Down; Clarkson in Hull, East Riding; Paxton in Hull, Yorkshire; Lodge in Huddersfield and Liverpool; Shaw in Caistor, Lincolnshire; Noncon and Pope in London.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Migration from Kerry to NZ - Neylon Nelan Nailon etc
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 February 16 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!