Author Topic: Two christenings for Margaret born c 1832 daughter of John Jones & Elinor Thomas  (Read 3313 times)

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Two christenings for Margaret born c 1832 daughter of John Jones & Elinor Thomas
« Reply #9 on: Monday 01 February 16 17:17 GMT (UK) »
OK found the right 1851 census return - Elinor now transcribed as Elenor, with John who is a shoemaker?! and the family, including John and William aged 9  :o
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Two christenings for Margaret born c 1832 daughter of John Jones & Elinor Thomas
« Reply #10 on: Monday 01 February 16 17:30 GMT (UK) »
In your original post you state two baptisms for Margaret, one in 1832 and one in 1833.

Further down you state John & Elinor marriage as being married 12 June 1833 at Lampeter so after Margaret was born.

Just wondered whether the 2nd baptism could be as a result of her parents' marriage.  However, Josey's earlier reply states that at the 1832 baptism Elinor is John's wife.

There's something not quite right here.

Were there two Margaret's, one dying as a baby and the latter aged 4?

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline rkive82

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 01 February 16 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Hmmm. I just found (on Family Search) a bunch of activity in May 1827 with banns and marriage of John Jones and Eleanor Thomas. There was action in Newchurch, Cenarth and Llanybydder.
Do these all refer to our John and Elinor (Eleanor)? Were they letting everybody know of their intentions?
Richard
RPJ
Jones Thomas Dickinson Paulsen Olsen Jackson Laidler Ramage Brown

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 01 February 16 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Aha - good thinking Pheno; a possibility.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Online Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 01 February 16 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Deleted - somehow missed page 2 where the info had aldreay been posted

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 01 February 16 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Hmmm. I just found (on Family Search) a bunch of activity in May 1827 with banns and marriage of John Jones and Eleanor Thomas. There was action in Newchurch, Cenarth and Llanybydder.
Do these all refer to our John and Elinor (Eleanor)? Were they letting everybody know of their intentions?
Richard

Banns had to be published in the place the marriage is to take place, and if different, in the parishes of the bride and groom

So if John & Elinor came from different parishes and were getting married in a third then they would have to publish banns in all 3 places by law

To save expense, couples would often use an "accomodation" address   (even if they didnt actually occupy it) in the marriage parish so they could be counted as residents of the parish and not have to publish banns elsewhere -- but it looks like John & Elinor were doing things properly!
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline rkive82

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 02 February 16 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Marmalady,
  So for now, my version of the facts is that John and Elinor married once in 1827 and had Margaret in 1832 when she was christened for the first time.
  Then, when they settled in at Lampeter which was to be their home for the next forty-five years, they married in June 1833 and had Margaret christened in the church just up the hill from them.
  The assumption is that there wasn't another couple with the same names getting together at the time and that the death year for Margaret was not 1834 but 1837.
  I am still looking for the birth/christening for John and Elinor themselves. John Jones and Elinor (Eleanor) Thomas - that shouldn't be too difficult!    :o
Richard
RPJ

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 02 February 16 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Not convinced they married twice -- what would be the point? Especially with the widely publicised banns the first time around

Are you sure the second marriage you found isn't another couple entirely? The names are not exactly uncommon
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline rkive82

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 02 February 16 16:51 GMT (UK) »
  I am not convinced either that we're discussing the same couple. All I can do for the time being is assemble what facts I can find and make my best judgement.
  I haven't ruled out the possibility that Elinor had been married before. If she was born in 1806 and didn't marry John Jones until 1833, that would make her 26 or 27 which is mature in years by standards of the time.
  I shall try to order birth certificates for William and John, the twins, to see if I get any further information about Elinor's maiden and possible former name.
Thanks for your input.
Richard
RPJ