Author Topic: Information pls on Isabella Gilmour 'married' to William McGie abt 1823  (Read 1585 times)

Offline sandir03

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Information pls on Isabella Gilmour 'married' to William McGie abt 1823
« on: Monday 01 February 16 06:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   I am actually researching the McGie family from Glasgow (and other areas) of which my grandmother Robina McGie was a descendant. I have information on the above William McGie but I  have very little information on his wife Isabella.....I have done lots of searching, especially in FamilySearch and ScotlandsPeople (SP) but keep hitting a brick wall when it comes to any Gilmour information.

I do have the following information:

1. William McGie (McGhie, McGee, Magee, McGhee, etc) – Was a tile/brick maker with his own business. His parents were Walter McGie (B. Abt 1752 - ?) and Jean Arnot (B. 1768 - 1868). William also had siblings – James, Jean and Walter.
B. 01/01/1797 in New Kilpatrick, Dunbarton
Bpt. 15/01/1797
D. 25/07/1868 in Knockinshannock, Drymen, Stirling. Death record shows aged 76, both parents deceased AND he is widower of Isabella Gilmour.
M. to Isabella Gilmour – date unknown, but assuming about 1823. Did they ever get married??

2. Isabella Gilmour – (Isabel, Isbel, Isobel, Gilmor) Not much information on her at all. Parents/family ???
   B. assuming about 1806 in Erskine/Renfrew – haven’t found birth in SP.
   D. 9/7/1852 at Offrance Tile works, Buchlyvie, Drymen, Stirling. This was found when I came across a Death notice in a newspaper –

http://www.happyhaggis.co.uk/1852jul.htm
Birth, Marriage & Death notices from Scottish newspapers:
July 1852
16th July 1852
DEATHS [02]
At Offerance Tile Works Buchlivie, on the 9th instant, Isabella Gilmour, aged 45 years, wife of Mr William McGie.

The 1841 Census of Erskine – William aged 40 (Head, Tile maker); Isabella aged 30 with 5 children. Also a James Gilmour aged 20, a Tile maker is mentioned – could this be a sibling/cousin?

The 1851 Census of Buchlyvie (Drymen) – William aged 57 (Head, b. Dunbarton, Kilpatrick, Tile manufacturer employing 8 labourers); Isabella, wife, aged 45 (born Renfrew) with 7 children.

The 1861 Census of Drymen – William aged 61 (Head, b. Dunbarton, Kilpatrick, Widower, Tile Manufacturer, with Daughter Mary aged 11, Scholar and a housekeeper.

Their 12 Children
1.   Margaret    b. Nov 1824 in Barony/Glasgow City - d. In infancy
2.   Jean   b. Jan 1827 in Glasgow/Glasgow City - d. In infancy
3.   Walter   b. Sep 1828 in Paisley Middle/Renfrew- d. Sep 1888 Glasgow, M. to Elizabeth Campbell in 1848
4.   Arthur   b. Sep 1830 in Glasgow/Glasgow City – d. In Canada, M. to Janet Grindley in 1861 (Canada)
5.   Margaret   b. Sep 1832 in Glasgow/Glasgow City - d. Apr 1909 in Glasgow, M. to Dr William MacKeith in 1854
6.   Jean   b. Feb 1835 in Glasgow/Glasgow City - d. 1905 in Drymen, Stirling, M. to James Strang in 1855
7.   William   b. Abt 1836-37 in Glasgow? Can’t find any info. - d. Dec 1917 in Glasgow, M. to Janet Stewart – this is my McGie link
8.   Ann      b. Feb 839 in Glasgow/Glasgow City - d. In infancy
9.   Isabella   b. Nov 1841 in Erskine/Renfrew – d. Mar 1857 in Royal Infirmary, Glasgow
10.   Janet   b. Dec 1843 in Erskine/Renfrew – d. In infancy
11.   James   b. Dec 1845 in Erskine/Renfrew – d. Unknown
12.   Mary   b. Abt 1950  Can’t find any info. - d. May 1867 in Knockinshannock, Drymen, Stirling

The births of Jean (1827), Margaret (1832), Jean (1835) and Ann (1839) mention an Arthur Gilmour as witness.

The births of Margaret (1832) and Jean 1835) mention a James McGie as witness (possibly William’s brother).

Margaret – 1854 marriage from SP (to William MacKeith) mentions only father William. Looks like mothers names were not recorded in Drymen. 

Isabella – 1857 death from SP – mentions mother Isabella, but she is not deceased.

Mary – 1867 death from SP – mentions mother Isabella, as deceased.

I also found a ‘memoir’ associated with Margaret (McGie) MacKeith about her life - http://mackeith.net/MacKeithFamily/Margaret_MacKeith.pdf

I would really like to fill in the gaps on this family, especially on Isabella Gilmour and her family.

Thanking you in advance,

sandir03

Offline sandir03

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Information pls on Isabella Gilmour 'married' to William McGie abt 1823
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 February 16 03:29 GMT (UK) »
An update -

After much searching I have found a Marriage record for William and Isabella. What threw me was the incomplete/incorrect spelling of Williams' surname.

Spouse name was entered as William Arnot (McGie not even mentioned!!) instead of William Arnot McGie. His mothers maiden name was Arnot. And Isabella (spelling from 1841 and 1851 Census) was spelt as Isobel.

The entry for 1824 reads -
Feb 27 - William Arnot McGie and Isobel Gilmour, both is this parish. Married.

Parish being Cambuslang and City/County - Glasgow City, City Lanark.

I am still looking for information on Isabella Gilmour's origins. - Birth, death record, siblings, family, parents, etc.

Regards,

sandir03

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 February 16 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Sandir,
This couple married in Cambuslang and both were living there at the time.
The witness to some of the girls baptisms was Arthur Gilmour.

Can you look at this 1841 census in Eaglesham, Renfrewshire   

James Gilmour   50
Margrat Gilmour   50
Arthur Gilmour   25 ****
Andw Gilmour   20
Cirsty Campbell   20
Flora Mcdonald   20

Then in 1851

Name   Age
Arthur Gilmour   36 Born Cambuslang
Mary Gilmour   22
Mary Gilmour   3 Days
Ann Levell   25

At 1861 he and his family are living in Glasgow.
The head of the household is called Ann Twaddle
Arthur is listed as HER brother

These names are matching with William and Isabella's own children

If you care to work back on this Arthur, his profile matches to a child who was the son of:
 James Gilmour and Margaret Herbertson.

Their children were born in Eaglesham which is Renfrewshire
Isabella's place of birth is simply stated as: Renfrewshire

Eaglesham is  far closer to Cambuslang than Erskine

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 February 16 00:08 GMT (UK) »
Update on above:
I think I may have confused Arthur with another of the same name.
The 1841 cenus data  is correct for one of them

Arthur on above post married Mary Falconer is 1851.

The man I was looking at was the son of James Gilmour and Margaret Herbertson but I may have posted incorect census data for 1851 and 1861

This is another Arthur at 1851.
This one married Elizabeth Struthers  later in 1851
Household Members   

Eaglesham
Arthur Gilmour   47 B Eaglesham
Elizabeth Gilmour   29
William Clement   23
John Struthers   4
Ann Mcdonald   24
Helen Young   20

He lives in Eaglesham until his death in 1894.
There doesn't appear to be any children born into the marriage.

Arthur's father was James and James's father was called Arthur.

I'm pretty sure that tthat both of these men  connect to your Isabella but as yet, Im not certain if either is her brother, her cousin or another relative

Offline sandir03

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 February 16 00:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi anne_p,
Thanks so much for all the information on the Gilmour family - much appreciated. I will have a closer look at the possible connections. If you happen to come across any further Gilmour family information please let me know.

Also, do you know what type of areas  Cambuslang and Eaglesham were in the 1820's - 1850's ...... working class, industrial, etc? I'm not familiar with the various Parishes, etc.

I also found the following on the Gilmour family  - one family at least -

Googled – Gilmour family from Renfrew –
https://thegilmours.wordpress.com/history-of-our-family-names/gilmour/

http://homepages.luc.edu/~pgilmou/familyhistory.pdf
Gilmour family story from Renfrew – doesn’t mention an Isabella,  I wonder if they are related???

Regards,
           sandir

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 February 16 01:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandir03,
I live very close to both Eaglesham and Cambuslang.
Eaglesham was and still is, fairly rural. Much of it is farmland.

My own, only Scottish line of Ancestry stems from Cambuslang.
Mine lived in the part that borders Rutherglen and was mostly occupied by weavers and coal miner. Therefore a working class area.
My husband's ancestry, hails from the parish but, the other side of Cambuslang
This end of the parish borders East Kibride and Blantyre, and  even now, this area is  mainly farmland.

I have looked at a rare census taken in Cambuslang in 1807.
There isn't a single person named Gilmour in the parish.

Looking at the 1841 census returns most Gilmour families in Eaglesham and East Kilbride were farmers both have  high a concentration of males named Arthur.
Almost all  EK Gilmours lived at the end of this parish where it borders Renfrewshire. Nearest village is.. Eaglesham!

I don't know if any of this helps to identify Isabella but I'm fairly certain that she links to these families, rather than Erskine or Renfrew.
These places are quite far from where she married

Anne

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 February 16 14:26 GMT (UK) »
Arthur died in Newton not Eaglesham.  He left the farm in 1867 after a farm related accident and retired to Townhead Cottage on the south end of the village.  He and many of the other Gilmour's in Eaglesham and Jackton are part of my direct family.  I have 1 Isobel and 2 Isabella's in my line all had father's named Arthur.  It was a very common combination.  That being said, this Arthur was b 1812 and I have a tough time thinking a 15 year old lad would travel the 15 miles from East Ardoch to Glasgow for a baptism in January.  But I can imagine him skipping over to the Swan to meet up with his mates.

However, there are two elderly Arthur's in Barony on 1841 SP Census, perhaps it is one of these.  There is also the family of Arthur Gilmour and Margaret Fleming.  They were married in 1806 yet none of their children were baptised anywhere but in Cambuslang until 1811.  So I wonder what was going on for those 5 years.  There are also a number Isobel's baptised in neighboring parishes two in Barony. Tollcross is a stone throw from Cambuslang.  And, being born and being baptised does not mean it happened in the same parish, they may have not liked the Minister of the day or she may not been baptised or the family were not members of the EC.  Many, many variables to consider.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline sandir03

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 February 16 00:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Anne and Don for the above info - will follow up on it when I have some more time. Sorry for the no reply, but I've been a bit busy of late. I did manage to do a small bit of searching of the Gilmours - found some familes emigrated to the USA - quite a few farmers. Also, found another branch living in Carmunnock.

Will keep you posted if I find anything of interest.

Sandi