Author Topic: "Rural Conflict, Crime, and Protest: Herefordshire, 1800 to 1860" lookup please  (Read 1474 times)

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Does anyone have access to "Rural Conflict, Crime, and Protest: Herefordshire, 1800 to 1860" by Timothy Shakesheff?

I've found references to the Morris and Woodyatt families on pages 150 and 156 on Google books. Unfortunately pages 154 and 155 are not online. Page 156 starts "in 1832" and I think it may refer to the conviction and transportation of William Morris and Thomas Woodyatt and would love to have confirmation!

Many thanks
Jan
England:
Durham: COULSON, FENWICK, HUNTER, LOWES, NAYLOR, ROBSON
Norfolk: DEWING, OUGHTON, TAYLOR,
Lancashire: TWEDDLE
Ireland: KEATING, KIRBY, Limerick; NELSON, Donegal
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow
Switzerland: VOSTI, DELUBINI
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ScobieDrom

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "Rural Conflict, Crime, and Protest: Herefordshire, 1800 to 1860" lookup please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 February 16 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Woodyatt and William Morris were convicted at the Lent Assizes, Hereford, in 1832 for Larceny and sentenced to 7 years deportation.

Thomas Woodyatt sailed on the ship "Asia", which departed on 4 February 1833 and arrived in New South Wales 27 June 1833.  On board were 229 other convicts.  Source:   http://www.convictrecords.com.au/convicts/woodyatt/thomas/2098

William Morris sailed on the same ship as Thomas Woodyatt.  Source:  http://www.convictrecords.com.au/convicts/morris/william/386

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: "Rural Conflict, Crime, and Protest: Herefordshire, 1800 to 1860" lookup please
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 February 16 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, ScobieDrom, yes, William Morris was my husband's 2g grandfather. I've been looking for his birthplace and parents for years, so when I came across the Ledbury reference in Shakesheff's book, I was delighted! It was very frustrating to see there were two missing pages, but I'm almost 100% sure they refer to Thomas and William's conviction.

I thought it would be easy finding a Ledbury baptism - been looking all afternoon - but still haven't found one for a William born ca 1811. I did find a John bapt 1807 to William and Sarah who could be his brother.

England:
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow

Offline ScobieDrom

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 February 16 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, ScobieDrom, yes, William Morris was my husband's 2g grandfather. I've been looking for his birthplace and parents for years, so when I came across the Ledbury reference in Shakesheff's book, I was delighted! It was very frustrating to see there were two missing pages, but I'm almost 100% sure they refer to Thomas and William's conviction.

I thought it would be easy finding a Ledbury baptism - been looking all afternoon - but still haven't found one for a William born ca 1811. I did find a John bapt 1807 to William and Sarah who could be his brother.

Can I ask why you believe William Morris was born/baptised in Ledbury? 

The Forest of Dean Family History Trust have transcribed all the registers from Ledbury.  The registers are for :  St Michael & All Angels (Ledbury Parish Church), Ledbury Emmanuel Free Church, Ledbury Methodist and Ledbury Wesleyan.  The only record for a baptism in the time frame you mention is for John Morris to parents William and Sarah, which is the one you have found.

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 February 16 22:20 GMT (UK) »
The book refers to   relieving the Ledbury gentry of this problem, implying that the two were noted for poaching in the Ledbury area.

The Woodyatt family seem to be based around Cradley, quite close to Ledbury but that is no help to finding William amongst the many baptised in Herefordshire, but there are many surrounding parishes outside the town, also Cradley is very close to the Worcestershire border.

Mike

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 February 16 00:30 GMT (UK) »
ScobieDrom,

I've just found a baptism on FreeReg for James Morris, father William, labourer, abode Homend, mother Sarah, on 12 June 1814 St Michael, Ledbury.

The book says, "Between 1800 and 1860, certain names, or families, continually arise over short periods; notably the Smith, Morris and Woodyatt families from the Ledbury area. The most prominent members of these familes, in terms of court appearances, were John Snith, mentioned above, William Morris and Thomas Woodyatt. These three men amassed nineteen convictions between 1820 and 1834 and were a thorn in the side of the preservers of the Eastnor estate, their usual hunting ground."
and
"Although most of their convictions came from offences committed in the Ledbury area, Smith and Morris were apprehended in 1828 for poaching in the parish of Weobley, some twenty three miles from their home."

There was a William Morris, baker, in Ledbury in Pigot's Directory 1830.

I know that this means they lived in the Ledbury area, but were not necessarily born there. But it was the first time I've actually found a location for William Morris, so it narrows the search down a bit.

An article in the Hereford Journal, 28 March 1832 says:
"Hereford Assizes
Thomas Woodyatt and Wm Morris, two notorious poachers, stealing 5 turkeys, the property of Mr Higgins, of Eastnor; (Woodyatt pleaded guilty). Sentence, transportation for seven years."

I wonder why William Morris didn't plead guilty too?  ;-)

mazi, I found a baptism in the IGI for a Thomas Woodyatt on 25 Sept 1812, Ledbury, father George, mother Hannah. It was a contributed entry so probably unreliable - but I always wonder where people get such spedific dates from ...

Thanks for the feedback :-)
England: