Author Topic: edinburgh, george heriot, royal goldsmith, c.1563 to 1624, who was his mother  (Read 569 times)

Offline wolfequebec

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am researching george heriot the famous royal jeweller.

As far as the identity of his father is concerned, I agree with all the secondary sources which say that his father was George Heriot elder goldsmith 1539/40–1610.  However these secondary sources also claim that George Heriot younger's mother was Elizabeth Balderstone. 

Based on my research to date I cannot believe Elizabeth was his mother. 

Has anyone found any evidence in primary sources of his mother's name?

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: edinburgh, george heriot, royal goldsmith, c.1563 to 1624, who was his mother
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 February 16 06:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi WolfeQuebec

Be aware that due to the timeframe you are seeking ancestors  the Parish Records may not be available. I know ScotlandsPeople do records from 1538 but not all Parishes are serviced by them either. :)

You have asked for sources on another post - different people- but the response may be the same. You may need to search old books - Archive.org would be where I would start.

And utilize the sources that were posted in the Fife thread http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=740432.0

Some of the sources which might provide evidence are:

Quote from: GR2
- the online catalogue of the National Records of Scotland
- the Register of Deeds
- the Register of Sasines, which gives relationships of people involved in the transfer of land
- the Register of the Privy Seal
- the Register of the Great Seal
- the Records of the Privy Council
- the Treasurer's Accounts
- the Acts of the Lords of Council
- testaments and inventories

There is no magic bullet when you go back that far. You may get lucky but be prepared to search in different areas.

:)
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072