Author Topic: Ryding family - Coalville  (Read 1789 times)

Offline Starbellywow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ryding family - Coalville
« on: Tuesday 02 February 16 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I am looking for any information on the Ryding family who lived in Coalville in the early 1900's. My great grandfather Marshall Philips Ryding lived in Margaret street with his wife Sarah and children. Is it still there?

My grandfather also enlisted in Coalville in 1931. I can't find many military connections at all there now. Does anyone know of anything around that time?

Any information gratefully received  :)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ryding family - Coalville
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 February 16 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Put Margaret St  Coalville into a search engine and you will find pics of houses for sale there -so yes Margaret St is still there .
By the way on records Marshall's wife is Patricia Sarah - maybe she used her middle name

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 February 16 10:10 GMT (UK) »
If you have Google earth, equally easy to find and "walk" up and down the street.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 February 16 10:12 GMT (UK) »
In Coalville there is the War memorial Clock Tower
It was designed and built in 1925 to replace the first cenotaph to the Fallen installed in the boundary wall of the railway station in 1919
The Clock Tower was opened 31 Oct 1925 and ten thousand attended. The Coalville Company of 5th Leics Regiment led the procession headed by the Regimental band.

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 February 16 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Records of enlistments after 1920 are still held by the Ministry of Defence although names can sometimes be found on one of the pay web sites.  If you want grandfather's records see the guidance at http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=652166.0
Can you post his name?

maxD

I noticed the name spelled Riding earlier?

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Starbellywow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 February 16 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone.

Max his name is Philip Patrick Ryding and he enlisted 1931 in Coalville but ended up in the Vauxhall barracks in Didcot where he met my nan  ;D he is on the war memorial in Didcot as he was killed in France in 1940 and is still buried there.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 February 16 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Presumably you have visited the Commonwealth War Graves Commission web site where you can download a commemoration certificate and see the details of the churchyard in which he is buried.

He and a WW1 soldier are the only war graves in that cemetery and photos of his headstone and grave plot are quite easy to find on Google images "Tingry Churchyard".

Forgive me if you know all this!

His records will give clues as to how he got there.  The date and place suggest he fell just a couple of days before the evacuation of Boulogne which preceded the Dunkirk evacuation.

maxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Starbellywow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 February 16 15:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello max

Yep we have visited Tingry and the town he was stationed and even found a man who remembers the raid he was killed in. That end of it, so to speak, we know a fair amount about. I was unable to get any more records from the army than we have already. But I am pursuing info from the raoc museum at deepcut.
It was more the Coalville connection I was trying to find out about in any aspect really. When he died the family seemed to drift apart and now there is no one to ask.

Many thanks for your info  :)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 February 16 00:08 GMT (UK) »
Marshall Phillips Ryding was buried at Coalville 2 Feb 1920, aged 41. Burial No. 1791.   

Administration was granted London 19th February to Patricia Sarah Ryding, Widow. Effects £173 9s

From the Yorkshire Evening Post 31 January 1920:

HANGED HIMSELF FOR WANT OF A HOUSE
A house shortage tragedy was revealed at a Coalville inquest on Marshall Phillips Ryding (41), cabinet maker, who hanged himself from a bedpost while insane through illness and inability to obtain a house. He was, with his wife and children, in lodgings.

A large sum of money was found on the body, and a bank book showing over £100 to his credit.

Reports in other papers confirm his address as 92 Margaret Street and name his wife as Sarah.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.