Author Topic: The Times wants your views: DNA ethnicity results  (Read 57712 times)

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My G Grandfather - Robert Johnstone Moffat
    • View Profile
Re: The Times wants your views: DNA ethnicity results
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 11:39 GMT (UK) »
My views on DNA testing are the same as KGarrad and, have no use for it.

cupcake
Moffat- Mein - Titterington - Kidman

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 11:41 GMT (UK) »
I'm afraid I can't add a lot here, either, as I don't really know enough about it and don't really understand it. I know that ancestors of 2 of my grandparents were in England as far back as the 1600s, that another came from Scotland and the fourth from Germany and at the moment, I'm content with that. If I suddenly found my great times x grandparents were from Scandinavia, although interesting, I'm not sure what I'd do about it.

I will be following this thread though.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 11:43 GMT (UK) »
I'm afraid I can't add a lot here, either, as I don't really know enough about it and don't really understand it. I know that ancestors of 2 of my grandparents were in England as far back as the 1600s, that another came from Scotland and the fourth from Germany and at the moment, I'm content with that. If I suddenly found my great times x grandparents were from Scandinavia, although interesting, I'm not sure what I'd do about it.

I will be following this thread though.

Buy a horned helmet?  ;D
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 11:45 GMT (UK) »
If I suddenly found my great times x grandparents were from Scandinavia, although interesting, I'm not sure what I'd do about it.

Build a large sea going boat out of wood?
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 11:47 GMT (UK) »
If I suddenly found my great times x grandparents were from Scandinavia, although interesting, I'm not sure what I'd do about it.

Build a large sea going boat out of wood?

Or I could do a bit of pillaging!  ;D

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Burrow Digger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 11:48 GMT (UK) »
While I am of English ancestry with one line unknown since my mother was adopted and her fathers name was NOT written down on her original birth certificate - anyone just looking at me can tell that I am white and British. I have even been told that my accent is pretty close to Devonshire despite my never having been there!!

So far my family tree is rather boring. I am of Anglo-Saxon (English) and Celtic (Scottish and Cornish) ancestry. I do have one line from Orkney so if a DNA test could tell me for sure if I have Viking ancestry, that would be nice to know. But right now I just cannot afford it. This would be one of those things I would do if I ever won the lottery!!!
BURROW, BICKHAM, EVANS, SULLEY, STONE - Devon
STEPHENS, MALLET, ADAMS - Cornwall
HANCOCK , BUSSON - Somerset
MCCALLUM, MCDIARMID, MCNEILL - Argyle, Scotland
WALLS, SUTHERLAND, SIMPSON - Orkney, Scotland
FAIRBAIRN - Fife, Scotland
THOMPSON - Aberdeen, Scotland

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • "Family ~ link to our past, bridge to our future"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 11:49 GMT (UK) »
I have had my DNA tested with FTDNA with their Family Finder autosomal kit. But I also ordered kits for a number of relatives; my mum, my late father's brother, three of my father's cousins, three of my mother's cousins and my brother, whose DNA was also tested using the National Geographic's Geno II kit. (A couple of cousins have also arranged their own testing.) I haven't had the autosomal test done for all of them, yet, because testing is expensive, but I hope to do so eventually.

So far, although lots of autosomal and other matches have been suggested, I haven't managed to ascertain specific links with people I didn't already know. But that will come, I'm sure, and, regardless, the information that the results provide is fascinating.

Our relatives will not be around forever. Two of my mother's cousins who tested for me have since died. Maybe this is to be expected of people in their 80s, but, sadly, my brother also died, very suddenly and unexpectedly, so we never know who is going to be around to share their DNA and further our family research. I arranged for a number of tests to be carried out on my brother's DNA, so he continues to help me, even though we have tragically lost him.

One thing that we found interesting: Mum's mother was part Greek and when her cousin's Y DNA was tested, it confirmed that it belonged to a 'Balkan cluster'. Then Mum's cousin on her father's side had his Y DNA tested. We knew that my grandfather's side of the family had mainly English and Irish ancestry so we were very surprised when that line came back as part of a 'Balkan cluster' too - a different one. What a coincidence!
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones
Birmingham: Neale Sarjant Cole Hiley Berridge Tirebuck

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 11:51 GMT (UK) »
I've been put off even thinking about DNA testing because of the cost, but my scientific mind is intrigued by it and the information it could throw up. My family is 100% English back to the 1700s, but there's a Scottish surname and a Scottis/Irish surname that I'm interested in. Might I have Scottish and Irish blood? If the cost of DNA tests comes down dramatically, I'd do it... but for the moment the paper-based records are keeping me amused. ;D
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 11:53 GMT (UK) »
In my mind the biggest problem is how do we know for sure who the father was?

With my ag. lab stock a large number of the women were pregnant at the time of marriage.

Don't think the girls who appear on Jeremy Kyle are a 21st. century phenomenon.

I'm sure in past centuries girls slept around and when they found out they were pregnant didn't always choose the right man to blame and go on and marry.

So paternal DNA is a complete waste of time.

I only know 1 person who has had it done for family history purposes. He was told he had Viking DNA. Well considering his family had been in north Nottinghamshire for as long as he can trace them I think that was pretty obvious.

I can see why it is much more popular in the USA than here in the UK. Unless they have Native American ancestors then they know they came from somewhere else while most of us in the UK are happy that our ancestors have been here for many hundreds if not thousands of years, and of course remembering that we were joined to mainland Europe until relatively recently in Geological terms we are bound to have Western European ancestors.

Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk