Author Topic: The Times wants your views: DNA ethnicity results  (Read 57631 times)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Re: The Times wants your views: DNA ethnicity results
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 11:54 GMT (UK) »
I recall reading somewhere that most Orkney people have some Viking DNA in their genetic makeup.
I have to say that having researched my Swedish roots, the Swedish records are much better kept on the whole than UK ones.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Burrow Digger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 11:55 GMT (UK) »
That's the other thing about DNA testing, I was told or I may have read somewhere, that it works better for males and not the females. I am a female so why bother?
BURROW, BICKHAM, EVANS, SULLEY, STONE - Devon
STEPHENS, MALLET, ADAMS - Cornwall
HANCOCK , BUSSON - Somerset
MCCALLUM, MCDIARMID, MCNEILL - Argyle, Scotland
WALLS, SUTHERLAND, SIMPSON - Orkney, Scotland
FAIRBAIRN - Fife, Scotland
THOMPSON - Aberdeen, Scotland

Offline DORAN54

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 11:59 GMT (UK) »
although i do find the idea of having a D,N,A test intriguing the cost would put me off at this time anyway :-\

Offline Colin D Gronow

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Member of the Association of Graveyard Rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 12:00 GMT (UK) »
I am the administrator of a DNA study, based on my One Name Study. We have 6 participants at the moment and its an interesting line of investigation. The problem I find is getting the required subjects to partake in the study. Cost is a factor, but also concerns over privacy and a feeling of the unknown.

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 12:02 GMT (UK) »
DNA testing doesn't interest me at all,........during my research I have found ancestors from various places and quite a few skeleton's which have proved interesting and this is enough information.
So far from what I have read about peoples experiences on testing it is not yet worth the expense.
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 12:07 GMT (UK) »
I am a biologist and have spent quite a bit of time teaching about DNA, chromosomes, crossing-over, introns and all the rest of the amazing science that has emerged in the last 60 years or so.
At the level of checking for non-paternity, DNA is pretty good: it's ever so good at saying that x person is not y person's child, or that the murder weapon was held by the alleged murderer, or whatever. I don't have a problem with that: it's hard-edged, yes-or-no stuff. Following the Y-DNA or mitochondrial DNA, which in general are inherited directly down the male and female line, has value in the same way, but it only touches one line in a family tree: father's father's father's father or mother's mother's mother's mother, and of course fails when there is an adoption, a fostering, a "non-paternal event."
Because of the rather fuzzier nature of the evidence (I'm tempted to put that as "evidence") of DNA analysis into the deeper past, I am much less certain of the value. If a test told me that I had 15% Viking ancestry or whatever, I'm afraid I'd be more likely to treat this in the same way that I'd treat a horoscope!
And - that's why I haven't bought a test....
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline alanmack

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 12:09 GMT (UK) »
As previous RootsChat members have stated, I too am not the least interested in taking any sort of DNA test. I do not believe they are likely to provide any meaningful results with respect to family history (or even strictly genealogy). Furthermore, I regard the whole "industry" that has sprung up recently as a money-making gimmick, little better than a scam. I am also concerned that it is American companies doing all the testing. Where do the results end up? Safe Harbour indeed! :o

I wouldn't have bothered to post on this topic but I was asked to. So . . .  ;)

alanmack
Glamorgan - Carpenter, Chamberlain, Ellis, Watkins, Rees, Bevan
Wiltshire - Carpenter, Chamberlain, Ellis, Merrett
Essex - Burdon, Taylor, Menzies
Canada - Burdon, Parkinson
Australia - Carpenter, Burdon

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 12:09 GMT (UK) »
In my mind the biggest problem is how do we know for sure who the father was?

With my ag. lab stock a large number of the women were pregnant at the time of marriage.

Don't think the girls who appear on Jeremy Kyle are a 21st. century phenomenon.

I'm sure in past centuries girls slept around and when they found out they were pregnant didn't always choose the right man to blame and go on and marry.

It's always been there in the back of my mind, that the "family" I'm researching may not be "family" at all. All it takes is one little lie about a child's parentage....
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline Burrow Digger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 12:11 GMT (UK) »
I wouldn't have bothered to post on this topic but I was asked to. So . . .  ;)
alanmack

I think we were ALL asked to comment.... :)
BURROW, BICKHAM, EVANS, SULLEY, STONE - Devon
STEPHENS, MALLET, ADAMS - Cornwall
HANCOCK , BUSSON - Somerset
MCCALLUM, MCDIARMID, MCNEILL - Argyle, Scotland
WALLS, SUTHERLAND, SIMPSON - Orkney, Scotland
FAIRBAIRN - Fife, Scotland
THOMPSON - Aberdeen, Scotland