Author Topic: Ancestry to connect with RootsMagic  (Read 3445 times)

Offline bibliotaphist

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ancestry to connect with RootsMagic
« on: Tuesday 02 February 16 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Apparently the following has gone out on a U.S.(?) Ancestry email list:

"We have made an agreement with RootsMagic, a leading genealogy desktop software program publisher, to connect Ancestry with the RootsMagic software by the end of 2016. With this new relationship, RootsMagic can serve as your desktop family tree software, while having access to Ancestry hints, Ancestry searches, and the ability to save your tree on Ancestry."

http://blog.dearmyrtle.com/2016/02/mackiev-acquires-family-tree-maker.html

Offline bibliotaphist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry to connect with RootsMagic
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 February 16 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Confirmation from RootsMagic themselves:

http://blog.rootsmagic.com/?p=2612

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Will that only apply to the newest version of RootsMagic?
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 07:30 GMT (UK) »
At the moment their Genealogy partner is MyHeritage

I don't think much of their hints either. Will I buy an Ancestry package? Probably not.
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 08:36 GMT (UK) »
I am only an occasional user of Ancestry myself, firmly believing there is more to family history than online resources. And yes, I know that some of us (me included) are hampered by the "tyranny of distance", but who can resist the excitement of finding that elusive piece of information in some library or archive? Or even finding that missing ancestor on a microfilm at an LDS family history centre?

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline bibliotaphist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 08:43 GMT (UK) »
I use Ancestry via my local public library although I've never subscribed. My only real interest in this is that it will allow me to sync my RootsMagic database with an Ancestry tree, while maintaining my RM database as the source of all truth.

I appreciate the value of an Ancestry tree for making contact with other researchers, distant relatives.

I don't care where my source material comes from! 

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Being only an occasional subscriber/user of Ancestry, I can only say that it is not that easy making contact with other tree owners, even if they have just been signed in. Out of seven or eight messages sent, I have had replies from only three. And I only contact those with a direct ancestry with the same ancestor as me.

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 09:27 GMT (UK) »
My only real interest in this is that it will allow me to sync my RootsMagic database with an Ancestry tree, while maintaining my RM database as the source of all truth.

I don't care where my source material comes from!

You do know that if you upload images to Ancestry and you have obtained them from another source then it is likely those images are subject to copyright and you should get permission, preferably in writing, to do so

Andy

Offline bibliotaphist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Being only an occasional subscriber/user of Ancestry, I can only say that it is not that easy making contact with other tree owners, even if they have just been signed in. Out of seven or eight messages sent, I have had replies from only three. And I only contact those with a direct ancestry with the same ancestor as me.

I'd be happy enough with a 37%-43% success rate ;-)

Seriously though, although I've not been able to initiate contact, having had a (neglected and increasingly out of date) tree on Ancestry for a few years has led to a few people contacting me. Not many, but they've all been interesting and I'll still in touch and sharing info with most.

This way, if I'm going to have a tree on A at least I can make sure it's up to date without my having to re-key every piece of information twice and/or constantle delete and replace Gedcoms.