Author Topic: Canavore  (Read 3840 times)

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Canavore
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 04 February 16 17:07 GMT (UK) »
On the marriage cert Edward's father is also listed as an Equestrian - so presumably he was born into the business.   

Quite possible that Kirwan was a Anglicised version of their name.   How wonderful to have such an interesting family

Offline Mercian7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 04 February 16 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

Thank you for all your suggestions. It seems that as the family were in Theatre/Circus they do not appear much in census. I have had a lovely time dowloading newspaper reports about them from Find my Past.
Eliza Lavinia Mary Main was probably born in Woolwich in 1844 although I have yet to kind her baptism. Her parents were Charles Henry Main (born in 1806 in Woolwich ) a baker and Ann Standage/Standish who was born in 1816 in Godalming, Surrey. Eliza is my grandmother Annie's great aunt. Her brother Charles Henry Main (born in 1838 in Camberwell) settled in Portsmouth after marrying Mary Elizabeth Shapland ( born in 1837 in Swimbridge, Devon). They had Annie Susan Louisa Main (born 1874 in Portsmouth ) who married my paternal grandfather Herbert John Pead in 1899 in Portsmouth.

I thought you would like some background detail as to why I am interested in Eliza. We have never had any theatrical folk in my family nor any gymnasts or elephant trainers. We do have a Privateer in the 18th Century but he was a Pead.

Thank you again for all your help
Cheers
John

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 04 February 16 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Probably not relevant to you Mercian7 but I was looking at other families caller Canover and I found another family of ACTORS!

This one is James Canover b 1837 in Leicester.
He married 1855  in Perth,Scotland to an Actress named Jane Laurie.
They were both comedy actors. (Much of Rosa's stuff was comedy too)
Their children were all born in Scotland but can be found in Yorkshire 1881 and in Durham 1891.

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 04 February 16 18:52 GMT (UK) »
I couldn't resist checking the marriage of James and Jane in 1855 - His father is listed as John Canover - deceased - and mother Mary Canover - maiden name West - so a brother to Edward

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 04 February 16 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Just about to say the same Kay.
I didn't look at the marrige but I did look at the births of their children who were all born in Scotland.
The names include  James, Mary and Edward.

Found with wife and kids in Glasgow at 1861 name transcribed as Cunovire. Occ Musician

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 02 March 16 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Are they used in other Episcopal records?

I see that you are asking about Episcopal records.

The extract you have posted is not from the Episcopal records; it's a marriage certificate from the statutory civil registers. Civil, not ecclesiastical.

There are more religious denominations in Scotland than you can shake a stick at, but the majority are Presbyterian as opposed to Episcopal.

Episcopal specifically means that the church has a hierarchy of bishops, for example the Anglican and Roman Catholic churches.

Presbyterian churches, for example the Church of Scotland, have no bishops. They are organised by a series of committees: kirk session, presbytery, synod and general assembly. The head of each presbyterian denomination is called the Moderator.

Do you have any particular reason for mentioning Episcopal records? For example, do you think they attended the Episcopal Church of Scotland?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline diane5250

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 04 February 17 20:10 GMT (UK) »
I see this is a pretty old thread. The Frederick Kerwin is really Frederick Canavor who immigrated to New YORK. no record of immigration, he left a family in England and started a new family in the U.S.    his son Edward Kimpton Canavor was married to my grandmother.    Edward was left in England when Frederick, born in 1870 abandoned the family. the family is rather secretive, not alot of info out there about them.   discovered the Frederick Kerwin connection, on his military record, which says he would like to be referred to as Frederick Canavor.

now, I understand where that name Kerwin/Kerwyn came from, never understood it.  very enlightening thread.

Offline diane5250

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 05 February 17 05:13 GMT (UK) »
Looking for Edward and family on 1851 census, can anyone see original of this:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QKK9-X6K1 
The child is 'illegible' but the father is John and the mother is Mary, born Plymouth which caught my eye as that's where Rose/Eliza was lodging on the 1871 census, might be a red herring though.

I've drawn a blank looking for Rose/Eliza with Frederick and/or Edward on the 1881 census or Edward on the 1871 ... anyone any luck?

the child is Edward..age 16 occupation errand boy