Author Topic: Burials - South Parade Wesleyan, Halifax  (Read 3634 times)

Offline Greenwood Greats

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burials - South Parade Wesleyan, Halifax
« on: Thursday 04 February 16 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Good morning all

I am struggling to find any burials for my Greenwood family and I feel sure a couple of them died young as I cannot find them on any census

They were all baptized at South Parade Wesleyan, Halifax - parents Jonathan & Sarah (Sally) Greenwood

James Sutcliffe Greenwood bap. 16 Oct 1790
James Greenwood bap. 4 Aug 1792
Richard Greenwood bap. 11 May 1794
Mary Greenwood bap. 29 April 1803
Benjamin Greenwood bap 25 Nov 1808

I cannot find their deaths on Ancestry or Family Search and wondered if South Parade Wesleyan burials were listed elsewhere?

Any help much appreciated

Regards
Marilyn Greenwood

Offline sandrastocks54

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Burials - South Parade Wesleyan, Halifax
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 February 16 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marilyn

I'm not sure if these are the Greenwood's you're looking for, but in the Warley Independent Registers on Ancestry there is a burial of Sarah Greenwood of Rools (or Roils) Head on 22 July 1810.

In the same register I've also found 22 August 1803 A child of Jonathan Greenwood of Roils Head
and January 1799 A child of Jonathan Greenwood.

If this is the right family, the Warley registers make interesting reading.

I'm not sure if the burials were actually at the chapel.   According to this website http://halifaxandus.co.uk/burials/ most burials would have been at Luddenden St Mary's.

Sandra

Offline Greenwood Greats

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 February 16 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Good evening Sandra

Yes these are from my family - I have spent many hours reading the  Warley Independent registers and I did find Sarah's burial and also several "telling offs" which Sarah had from the local minister in the registers - I don't think he liked her very much! I did find the 1803 child from Roils head but I missed the January 1799 - so many thanks for that.

I shall keep looking they may turn up one of these days!

Many thanks for your help - much appreciated

regards

Marilyn

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 February 16 15:28 GMT (UK) »
There are a heck of a lot of Greenwoods parked in Heptonstall's graveyards, if that's any use?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Marmaduke 123

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 February 16 16:28 GMT (UK) »
South Parade Wesleyan burials are on The Genealogist up to 1837. I don't see them anywhere after that, which is a shame as I have a couple I feel sure were buried there.

Halifax/Huddersfield area West Yorkshire
Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire, Berkshire and nearby areas.
Bilcliffe one name study all areas.

Offline element4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 February 16 18:22 GMT (UK) »
There are a heck of a lot of Greenwoods parked in Heptonstall's graveyards, if that's any use?

I just had a look through an online pdf of Hebden Bridge burial records, by the local history society.  It seems to refer to mostly late nineteenth to early twentieth centuries,  a later time period than I am looking for, and I am not sure if it includes Non-Conformists, (Methodist Chapel?).

I too was trying to find out about Non-Conformist burials for Greenwoods in the Hebden Bridge area, around the early nineteenth century and before.  Specifically Thomas Greenwood, born 1819 in Hebden Bridge, these may be his parents "Thomas son of Thomas Greenwood and Ann his wife was born at Hebden Bridge in the township of Heptonstall parish of Halifax, 18th May 1819 and registered 1st June"  according to the Non-Conformist register, but I was told that his father was Henry Greenwood, though that may refer to his father's father.

The Thomas Greenwood, born 1819 Hebden Bridge that I am looking for moved at some point to Hulme, Manchester where he had children with Bridget Ward, born 1823 Ireland.  He may have at some point moved back to Hebden Bridge, with his wife Bridget, and maybe other children were born there too?

I was wondering how to trace Greenwoods in Methodist graveyards in this area.  There are plenty of Greenwoods, but you seem to get swamped with those from later than the mid nineteenth century.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 February 16 14:18 GMT (UK) »
The Heptonstall records are good on Ancestry, and are Non-conformist (Baptist) Chapels with LOADS of Greenwoods, element4. But, I seem to recall, a year or two back, when I was hunting for some early 19th C. Greenwoods for a friend - they were not fully indexed, I found more details by browsing around them online and looking at the images, rather than the index, and you may find it worthwhile having a look. Malcolm Bull's Calderdale companion way well result in some leads, too.
Heptonstall, up on the tops,  was apparently rather more important than the valley settlements at one time.
I'll have a look and see if a Greenwood pops up who might fit your dates. Then I'll get back to you.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 February 16 14:31 GMT (UK) »
There's a Thomas Greenwood of about the right age for you, element4, buried at Birchcliffe on 17th Sept 1877, aged 58, of that's any help?

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 28 February 16 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Marilyn, there are loads of Heptonstall Jonathon Greenwood marriages to a Sarah/Sally:
25 Dec  1768 M Sally sunderland
4 Nov 1781    M Sally Dawson
15 July 1804  M Sally Helliwell
15 Oct 1809  M Sally Sutcliffe
etc....
I was feeling Sally Sutcliffe was a strong contender, because o the first son having the middle name of Sutcliffe - very often seen in the area - and I'd noted Benjamin's birth date of 1808 - then I looked and the other children were a lot older. I'll keep on hunting....