Author Topic: Burials - South Parade Wesleyan, Halifax  (Read 3646 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burials - South Parade Wesleyan, Halifax
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 28 February 16 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Ahah!Just found a marriage (wrongly indexed as Green, not Greenwood) but quite clearly, in the scan of the original entry, for a Jonathan Greenwood of Midgley to - a Sarah Sutcliffe on 16th August 1789! That does sound a likely one to me. It's at St John the Baptist, Halifax, where I've found quite a lot of Heptonstall / Shore based Greenwoods married. Is that any help?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 28 February 16 15:12 GMT (UK) »
... and that Jonathon Greenwood may have been the one bap at Heptonstall Jan 1767, and the same chap who was buried 15th Jan 1836 at St Mary's Luddenden?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline element4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 28 February 16 20:01 GMT (UK) »
There's a Thomas Greenwood of about the right age for you, element4, buried at Birchcliffe on 17th Sept 1877, aged 58, of that's any help?

Thanks.  I am really struggling with Thomas Greenwood.  He married Bridget Ward, the record is under Manchester marriages, and that gives his father's name as Henry Greenwood.  The 1851 census shows Thomas Greenwood, birth about 1819 in Hebden Bridge, spouse Bridget and son Hiram [James W], living in Manchester.  So that baptism record for May 1819 in Hebden Bridge showing mother Ann and father Thomas probably isn't him.  He may have died in Manchester.

Edit:  I remembered that my grandfather had been brought up as a Catholic.  His mother had been born in Ireland, and his father's mother (Bridget, wife of Thomas) had been born in Ireland.  So it is likely that Thomas was baptised in Hebden Bridge Non-Conformist or Anglican, but married and buried, probably in Manchester, by the Catholic church.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 29 February 16 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Ah, sorry no use. I'll pop back into the pc and see if there's anything useful I can find you.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 29 February 16 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Just a question or two:
Did Bridget die quite young? And Thomas re-marry?
Did Thomas emigrate? And possibly re-marry?
- because (and I know this isn't any promise of veracity) there are several online trees that seem to send him off to the antipodes, and a marriage there....
I can't find an 1861 census ... yet....

Offline element4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 29 February 16 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Just a question or two:
Did Bridget die quite young? And Thomas re-marry?
Did Thomas emigrate? And possibly re-marry?
- because (and I know this isn't any promise of veracity) there are several online trees that seem to send him off to the antipodes, and a marriage there....
I can't find an 1861 census ... yet....

After the birth of my great grandfather Hiram Greenwood in 1846 in Hulme, and a possible younger brother James W (although Hiram is listed as "James Hiram" on the 1871 census), and the 1851 census showing Thomas Greenwood age 32, Bridget age 28, Hiram 4 and James W 3, and Betsy Ward 23 and John Ward 14 living in the parish of St Marks, Hulme,Chorlton.......after the 1851 census Thomas and Bridget both seem to totally disappear.

Hiram was baptised 25th October 1846 Cathedral Manchester.  I don't know whether Cathedral refers to the area of Manchester, or the church where he was baptised, but because his mother was Irish it was probably in a Catholic church.

I just found something today that might be Thomas Greenwood, Hiram's father.  The 1871 census has a Thomas Greenwood, age 52, born about 1819 in "Hepden" (sic) Bridge, Yorkshire, living in Manchester, ecclesiastical parish "Cathedral", sub-registration district Market Street, with Anne Greenwood, age 40, and three other people.  Thomas and Anne Greenwood are shown as lodgers, Anne was born in Manchester.  The Head is Elizabeth Hamilton, age 60, shopkeeper.  Thomas Greenwood's job is listed as "Card Dealer".  The census area is "Collegiate", Manchester, and the address is 63 Long Millgate

The 1871 census shows Hiram and Mary Ann Greenwood living in the parish of St Stephan, civil parish of Salford.  I find it significant that Hiram gives his place of birth as Manchester, but the place of birth of his two daughters Rebecca and Mary Ellen as Salford.  (Mary Ann was born in Dublin, Ireland).

Offline element4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 29 February 16 21:59 GMT (UK) »
there are several online trees that seem to send him off to the antipodes, and a marriage there....

I was looking through some online trees on Ancestry today and couldn't find any that looked as though they could be the Thomas Greenwood I am looking for.  Then I looked for trees for his son Hiram Greenwood, and couldn't find any that didn't end with Thomas and Bridget Greenwood, with very little information about them.

Maybe I missed what you were looking at because I just looked at the name of the spouse, and if it wasn't Bridget I assumed it was the wrong one.

Offline element4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 01 March 16 01:18 GMT (UK) »
The other definitely accurate information I have about Thomas Greenwood is his marriage to Bridget Ward on 29th June 1846, in Manchester at the church of St Mary, St Denys and St George, which shows his father's name as Henry Greenwood, a Carder, and her father as James Ward, a labourer.  The marriage certificate gives Thomas' job as "Marine Store Keeper", and both Thomas and Bridget were living at 30 Angel Street at the time of the marriage.

As their son Hiram was baptised on 25th October 1846 at St Mary, St Denys and St George, Bridget was five months pregnant at the time of marriage.  I looked up this church and it seems to be just the local church, so maybe the Catholic church wouldn't marry them?

Very odd that Thomas and Bridget are untraceable after the 1851 census, and that they only seem to have had at most two children, at a time when most families had eight or nine.  If Bridget had gone back to Ireland, that could explain her disappearance.

Offline element4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 01 March 16 02:21 GMT (UK) »

They were all baptized at South Parade Wesleyan, Halifax - parents Jonathan & Sarah (Sally) Greenwood

This is a long shot, but in my researches a while ago I remember finding a Greenwood marrying a Sally or Sarah Wrigley.  It was an early church record, so 1700's.  Probably something I found on the IGI. 

This might not be your Jonathan and Sarah/Sally, and maybe you already have their records.