Author Topic: Frances Holmes, b abt 1600, Beverley  (Read 6288 times)

Offline JCam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Frances Holmes, b abt 1600, Beverley
« Reply #9 on: Monday 23 September 13 12:10 BST (UK) »
I cannot attach a photograph to a PM but can attach one to a posting. This is the photograph of Joseph Holmes, Mary Teall, Horatio Thomas Holmes etc taken behind The Barrel at Walkington. Horatio Thomas is my great grandfather and went on to be the publican at the Moulders Arms and the Dog and Duck in Beverley.
Jane
Moore - Castleford & Fairburn Yorkshire.   Rodgers- Ecclesfield and Stanningley. Lister- Farsley.   Heeles -Towton and Newton Kyme.  Dennison- Micklefield &South Milford.   Barton- Mapplewell & Royston.   Yowell -Royston.    Johnson - Burslem and Castleford. Holmes -Beverley

Offline sue 1950

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 23 September 13 13:33 BST (UK) »
That is lovely, Thankyou very much, wonder who the man in the bushes is?
Researching Dixon Dawson Wood Wilkinson Wackett from Lincolnshire (Caistor area) Ringrose Higgs Riddington Lord Burley from Leicester (Countesthorpe) Holmes Abbott Ringrose Motson from Beverley and Hull Leics. Fawcett Fenwick Hare Mareham Le Fen Revesby Horncastle Lincolnshire.

Offline JCam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 23 September 13 15:09 BST (UK) »
Glad you like it - I wondered about the man in the bushes too !
I have sent a Personal Message and would be interested in any info you have about this branch of the Holmes family.
Jane
Moore - Castleford & Fairburn Yorkshire.   Rodgers- Ecclesfield and Stanningley. Lister- Farsley.   Heeles -Towton and Newton Kyme.  Dennison- Micklefield &South Milford.   Barton- Mapplewell & Royston.   Yowell -Royston.    Johnson - Burslem and Castleford. Holmes -Beverley

Offline HolmesL

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 28 January 17 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I too have a link to Francis & Ann Holmes of Beverly, England.. settling in Wethersfield, Conn. USA in 1648  ... John son of Francis born in England came to Stamford in 1660.. He was married to a Rachel Waterbury in England prior to coming to the US.  They had a son David in 1668 and I am a direct descendant.  I would love to know more about the family.
Cheers,
Len 

Offline Bagpuss1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 20:29 BST (UK) »
Hi I am related to Horatio Thomas Holmes, he was my Grandma's Brother. My Grandma was Ida May Holmes. I live in Beverley and have often been in The Barrel Pub in Walkington. I have never seen that photo before.
Holmes, Radley,

Offline JCam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 15:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Bagpuss,
I am descended from Horatio Thomas Holmes ( b 1862 Nafferton d 1940 Beverley ) he was my grandfather Joseph Holmes' ( b 1888 in Beverley ) father.
I know from bitter experience i.e. following the wrong line, that there are two Horatio Thomas in the family.'My' Horatio Thomas was the publican at the Moulders' Arms and the Dog and Duck ( not the current building) in Beverley.
My grandfather, Joseph, trained as a farrier and won prizes at the Yorkshire show - I still have the impressive certificates.
He moved to Castleford after marrying my grandmother Evelyn Holmes and they had 5 children of whom my mother was one. I have managed to trace Horatio Thomas' line back to the late C18 and wish you well with your research

Offline Bagpuss1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 17:33 BST (UK) »
Hi JCam
Thanks for your reply. From what I know from my family and my research so far. Your Horatio Thomas Holmes is my Grandma's brother. My Grandma Ida May Holmes married my Grandfather Leonard Radley who was also from Beverley. They had one daughter Jean.
Holmes, Radley,

Offline JCam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 26 May 18 18:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Bagpuss,
I think the dates may be out- 'my' Horatio Thomas was born in 1862 at Nafferton and married Sarah Clarkson b 1862 probably Sculcotes. His parents were Joseph Holmes born 1834 North Cave and Mary Elizabeth Teall born 1839 in Lund. Both Joseph and Mary Elizabeth are on The Barrel photo which I posted earlier.
You said in your post on the George Holmes Blacksmith line that 'your' Horatio Thomas was born in 1886 which means that 'my' Horatio was possibly 'your' Horatio's and your Grandma Ida's uncle. My Grandfather Joseph Thomas was born in 1888 so would possibly have been your Grandma's cousin.
I must admit that my main interest in Family History are the stories which come down the family. One interesting one I was told about the Holmes family in Beverley is that there was a family charity ( probably of the 'loaf of bread and a new petticoat to 12 deserving spinsters variety! ) and a commemorative window in the Minster. I haven't tracked that one down as yet - have you ever heard anything about it ? I would be really interested if you have any information about it.