Author Topic: Robert Grattan-DOB? Request for Help  (Read 1156 times)

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Grattan-DOB? Request for Help
« on: Thursday 04 February 16 21:23 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out the DOB for my 2nd Great Uncle, Robert Grattan. His parents were William Grattan and Mary Hill Grattan. He left for the US in 1906, but returned to Ireland in 1910 and died in 1937, Loughbrickland.  I believe he was born around 1860's, but can't seem to locate when he was born. He had a sister Elizabeth Jane Grattan who married a Isaac Fergus and 2 other brothers who left Ireland for the US, David and William. I think they were from the Glaskerbeg area but there seems to be a lot of Grattan's  and can't seem to find his birth date. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated!!!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Grattan-DOB? Request for Help
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 February 16 22:09 GMT (UK) »
What age is given on his death certificate? what age was he in 1911 census?

Civil registration of births stared in 1864 so if he was born before that year there will be no birth certificate and you'd need to see if a baptism record exists.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 February 16 22:18 GMT (UK) »
In 1911 he was 51 years old so it would be 1860? He died in 1937.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 February 16 23:28 GMT (UK) »
I asked what age was given on his death certificate. Accoording to GRONI's database he died 28 Mar.1937 age 79 which puts birth (c1858), a bit earlier than census.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 February 16 05:14 GMT (UK) »
A possible baptism (names and location match) indicates that he was born on 3 September 1859.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 February 16 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for your quick response. I had found a 1910 census for the US where Robert Grattan was working. At that time it advised his age to be 50 years. He did return to Ireland in 1910 and was back in the Loughbrickland area. I called my Aunt last night in Ireland and she told me he never married and lived with his brother-in-law Isaac Fergus and Isaac's daughter Mary Jane on the Joughery or Doughery Road, near the Loughbrickland Presbyterian Church. She had no information on him only he had gone to the US and returned.  His DOB is the last bit of information I need as well where he is laid to rest.  I think 1858 or 1859 is where I should be looking and will try Church records. Again thank you so much for the help. All the best.
Susan
Ajax, Ontario, Canada

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 February 16 15:35 GMT (UK) »
This seems to be Robert on the 1901 census with his widowed mother Mary and sister Agnes - LINK
and on the 1911 census - LINK noting the discrepancy in the age

This ties in with the links by dathai to births

There are baptisms for Agnes 1864, David 1866, Elizabeth Jane 1868, and William 1872 in Aghaderg
with parents shown as William and Mary (no maiden surname shown)
In the same church as suggested by gaffy there is a baptism to
a William and Mary of Robert William (transcribed as) GRETTON DoB Sep 023 1859 DoBap Oct 16 1859 which ties in

FTR
William GRATTON of Ouley, a weaver, father William a farmer
married Jun 08 1858 in St. Mary's CoI Newry, Co. Down
Mary HILL of Aghaderg, father Andrew a Farmer
Witnesses Jonathon HILL and Sarah Little
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 05 February 16 15:57 GMT (UK) »
The William and Mary Hill Grattan (I've seen Grattan spelled Gratton or Gratten) is my2x Great Grandparents. I did find their marriage date and was working on when they were born, died as well their children as Elizabeth Jane who was born in 1868 was my 1x Great Grandmother. I knew also she had brothers, David, William, who left and went to the US and Robert's information my Aunt told me about just yesterday when I phoned her.  She never mentioned another daughter Agnes, so this is something new to explore!!! Thank you for that. I am coming over in June and would like to see the area they lived and hopefully find out when they passed and where they are buried, so I can pay my respects to my ancestors. I'm getting closer and I need to see church records for sure in case there were more children possibly from William and Mary Hill Grattan. Thank you again, you are most kind. Susan
Ajax, Ontario
Canada