Author Topic: Looking for Gilmour family  (Read 1414 times)

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Gilmour family
« on: Friday 05 February 16 07:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm looking to trace a Gilmour family in the Krugersdorp area of South Africa. The information I have is sparse, but here it is.
James Gilmour  born Glasgow, Scotland
migrated out to South Africa around 1870-1880
He died in Krugersdorp in June 1933 and left an estate.
My understanding is that he had two daughters, Elizabeth & Margaret. I do not know if they were alive when he died and have no idea of a wife's name.
I have located him in voters lists in the time periods prior to his death. If anyone can give me information on where to look for him or any members of his family it would be much appreciated. I would love to contact any family who may be out there. Kim

Offline rachelralph

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Gilmour family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 February 16 07:49 GMT (UK) »
this post caught my eye and i had to reply. my grandma is a robertson clarke, her mother was a gilmour brown and her mother was Gilmour. her family are from Killearn Scotland and the Gilmours were from the surrounding areas, some in glasgow.
the reason the post interested me was my grandmother mentioned that when she was younger some of her uncles family moved to south africa to try out a new life there, like some of their familyhad done before. she cannot recall who although she did say the name lochy possibly (i would take this with a pinch of salt as her memory is awful)
i cannot really help further as i have no scotlands people credits left. But i just feel it strongly that you and i are related through your james gilmour
Ralph. Lever. Young. Lasham. Denigan. Sawyer. Moore. Stone

saville foljambe moore

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 February 16 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Do you know his parent's names?  I have downloaded a death for a James Gilmour who died in 1946.  His parents were James and Agnes nee Mowat.

If this is your James please pm me with your email address and I will send it to you.
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 February 16 05:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi rachelralph & Nookie, thank you for your quick replies. Nookie as to the James Gilmour you found, he would not be mine alas as my James had definitely died in June 1933. His parents I believe to be James & Jane. rachelralph, it is possible we are related as I wouldn't think (??) there would be too many Gilmours in S.A. My Gilmours would be emigrants from Glasgow and the immediate surrounds. Let me know if you discover anything further on your Gilmours and may be we will be able to connect. Thank you both, Kim

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 February 16 06:59 GMT (UK) »
This could possibly be your James
DEPOT     KAB                                                                   
SOURCE    MOOC                                                                 
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
VOLUME_NO 6/9/4291                                                             
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 38215                                                                 
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          GILMOUR, JAMES. ESTATE PAPERS.                                       
STARTING  19330000                                                             
ENDING    19330000         

It seems if this is your  James he died in Cape Town and had been working on the Railways.   

I have downloaded what there is - it says he was born in Scotland but does not list parents etc and there is a distribution account attached which names of 7 women but there is an Elizabeth among them, but it does seem as if there is another page which is missing.  I can send it to you if you PM me your email     
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 July 16 13:40 BST (UK) »
Hi 3sillydogs,

Did I PM you before concerning the estate papers concerning James Gilmour that you found?? I have misplaced whom I have contacted concerning him and just want to double check with you. Kim

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 July 16 14:57 BST (UK) »

You did PM me 6 Feb 16

Did you need something??

Sue
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline Fay Lea

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 September 17 11:40 BST (UK) »
I too am looking for James Bunyan Gilmour he died in 1973 in South Africa. He married Mabel Florence Marshall who he predeceased.
I found the following entry at Familysearch.com.
James Bunyan
mentioned in the record of William Gilmour Bunyan
Name   James Bunyan
Sex   Male
Wife   Margaret Gilmour
Son   William Gilmour Bunyan
Other information in the record of William Gilmour Bunyan
from Scotland Births and Baptisms
Name   William Gilmour Bunyan
Gender   Male
Birth Date   26 Jun 1873
Birthplace   HUTCHESONTOWN,GLASGOW,LANARK,SCOTLAND
Father's Name   James Bunyan
Mother's Name   Margaret Gilmour
Citing this Record
"Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FQRZ-6BW : 8 December 2014), James Bunyan in entry for William Gilmour Bunyan, 26 Jun 1873; citing HUTCHESONTOWN,GLASGOW,LANARK,SCOTLAND, reference , index based upon data collected by the Genealogical Society of Utah, Salt Lake City; FHL microfilm 6,035,516.
I would be pleased to have any information. regards Fay

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 September 17 10:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Fay, the James Gilmour that I am researching died in South Africa in 1933 and was born in 1874 in Glasgow. He has no connection I believe to the James Bunyan that you are seeking. I can offer assistance on Scottish records however so if you need assistance just give me a shout. Kim