Author Topic: Daniel Rose Born Crieff 1874--1 mo. AFTER his parents David Rose/Mary Fraser wed  (Read 1325 times)

Offline Minnesotan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Update 6 Feb
Thanks everyone for the benefit of your experience! Based on several responses from all of you that have experience in researching rural Scotland genealogy, it's clear that a child born shortly after the parents' wedding is just not an anomaly and therefore there is no reason for me to question what facts might be missing.

------------
5 Feb Original post
Where do I look for additional information about circumstances related to Daniel Rose's birth? He was either adopted OR his mother was visibly pregnant when she married OR there are indexing errors for Daniel's DOB or his parents' wedding date.

My research indicates Daniel Rose was born 26 Jun 1874 in Crieff.  His parents (David Rose and Mary Fraser) married 19 May 1874 in Forres which was approx. one month before his birth. 

1. Were adoption records kept in 1874 in Scotland?
2. If yes, where should I look for adoption records? Crieff parish where Daniel was born?
3. In 1874 rural Scotland, what consequences were there for a bride being very obviously pregnant on her wedding day?

Other basic background on this family
David Rose B 1843 in Ardclach, D 1912 Minnesota
Mary Fraser B 1842 Nairn, D 1912 Minnesota
Other children born in Scotland--Alexander 1875, John 1877, David 1879 and Sophia 1882
1883 - Entire family emigrated to U.S. on ship Bolivia
1885 State of MN Census - family living in Stevens, Donnelly, Minnesota

Thanks for any insights re: finding out more about Daniel's birth. This really has me stumped.
RESEARCH INTERESTS
---------------------------

USA - John Hiler/Hiller who was permanent or temporary resident in Michigan in 1824

Scotland - Nairnshire, Rose (Alex>Alex>David (1846-1912) and Fraser
--------------------------------

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel Rose Born Crieff 1874--1 mo. AFTER his parents David Rose/Mary Fraser wed
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 February 16 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Have you purchased his birth certificate from http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/
This will have his parents names on it, this certificate might have a reported father on it, if the later groom is not the father.

In Scotland the bride being pregnant or unwed might not have been as shamefull as you imagine during this period of time. What really matters is the family involved. An ancestor of mine had two unwed daughters living at home with sons. Fathers of both sons on the birth certificates, so there was acknowlegement but no weddings. They were a family of shop keeepers and obviuosly could afford to keep both boys.

Another ancestor was taken to court by the mother of his son and he refused to marry her but did admit to being the father in court.

I don't think your David Rose was adopted you need the birth certificate to check if this is even a possiblity most likely his parents were legally wed
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel Rose Born Crieff 1874--1 mo. AFTER his parents David Rose/Mary Fraser wed
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 February 16 11:44 GMT (UK) »
I acnt see any problem with her being pregnant before the Marriage.
Also as they have other Children later there would be no reason for them to adopt.
With researching for others I have found it very common to find Children born just before or after a Marriage.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Geoff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • TV, great add for Radio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 February 16 03:04 GMT (UK) »
His birth record states his parents are David ROSÉ and Mary FRASER.
That says it all. You can't get better evidence than that.
As it has already been said, there was as many babies born one month
either side of a marriage as there was 12 months after a marriage.

Regards
Geoff
** Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk **
Martlock, Pilton, Doubting & Frome:
MASTERS, PORCH, BOULTON, HACKETT,
Combe Hay, HINTON, WEEKS,
Perthshire: CRICHTON, TAYLOR, MOON, IRONS, KIDD
Durham, FENWICK, PUNSHON, EDDY, HENRY aka LAVERICK
Northumberland, BUCHANAN, HODGSON, HALL,
Lincoln: MASKEY,BIRD,FISHER,HARLEY,
Cambridgeshire, CROSS, FOREMAN, FREEMAN, ONG,
FEAST, MOXON
Gloucestershire, HILL, COX, NEWELL
Sussex, CHAPMAN, NEVE, DOWNER
Surrey, NEWELL, WEBB,

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 February 16 03:25 GMT (UK) »
You will also find 2 entries on the index.....

He will be registered under both surnames which only occurs if the father is present at the registering of the birth.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Minnesotan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 February 16 07:22 GMT (UK) »
I acnt see any problem with her being pregnant before the Marriage.
Also as they have other Children later there would be no reason for them to adopt.
With researching for others I have found it very common to find Children born just before or after a Marriage.

Trish :)

Hi Trish, Thanks for your response. My post was probably not very clear. In western 21st century cultures, I agree with you that pregnant brides are not as you put it a 'problem'.

But my post was enquiring about cultural norms and stigma circa 1874 in rural Scotland. Understanding cultural norms and stigma has been important in the New England 18th and 19th century family history research I just completed. For example, reading a blog post about cultural stigma and the common practice of hiding unwed mothers helped me find an ancestor who was born out of wedlock. The mother's parents secreted their daughter away during her pregnancy and then brought the newborn into their household claiming they adopted her from a far away relative  because the mother had died. 
RESEARCH INTERESTS

USA - John Hiler/Hiller who was permanent or temporary resident in Michigan in 1824

Offline Minnesotan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 February 16 07:46 GMT (UK) »
Have you purchased his birth certificate from http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/
This will have his parents names on it, this certificate might have a reported father on it, if the later groom is not the father.

In Scotland the bride being pregnant or unwed might not have been as shamefull as you imagine during this period of time. What really matters is the family involved. An ancestor of mine had two unwed daughters living at home with sons. Fathers of both sons on the birth certificates, so there was acknowlegement but no weddings. They were a family of shop keeepers and obviuosly could afford to keep both boys.

Another ancestor was taken to court by the mother of his son and he refused to marry her but did admit to being the father in court.

I don't think your David Rose was adopted you need the birth certificate to check if this is even a possiblity most likely his parents were legally wed

Hi Whiteout - I have not ordered the birth certificate. I have Daniel Rose's online indexed birth record and it lists Mary Fraser and David Rose as his parents. https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FQX3-T8J

After reading all the responses, it's clear that there is no reason for me to question whether or not I have all the facts. I gather that the birth index for Daniel is the full story as it lists both mother and father.
RESEARCH INTERESTS

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 February 16 17:49 GMT (UK) »
A good overview on social history and facts at that time here http://www.gla.ac.uk/schools/socialpolitical/research/economicsocialhistory/historymedicine/scottishwayofbirthanddeath/ Links to the left.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk