Author Topic: William Edward Sherriff 1859-1930 - Police Superintendant  (Read 926 times)

Offline Evelina

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Edward Sherriff 1859-1930 - Police Superintendant
« on: Friday 05 February 16 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am wondering if it is possible to get a picture of a policeman anywhere?  I have his police records and know where he served but I would think a Superintendant might appear in the newspapers or have an official picture somewhere.  He served in Worcestershire and Birmingham, and retired in 1920 in Malvern. Can anyone advise where to look, thanks Evellina
Porter & Chalmers - Perthshire, Laing - West Fife, Stirrat - Glasgow, Ferguson - Glasgow & Skye, Coulter & Wilson - Northern Ireland, Kean - Glasgow & Northern Ireland. Ferrier - Perthshire. Lawton - Church Lawton, Cheshire.  McClure/McLure - Coatbridge

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Grandfather, Frank William Gomm
    • View Profile
Re: William Edward Sherriff 1859-1930 - Police Superintendant
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 February 16 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Why not get in touch with the police station at Worcester city as they may well be able to help or you could get in touch with the HIVE at Worcester where all the county's records are held but I don't know how much they charge for searches

All the very best

Phil
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Oxfordshire - Gomm, Hamblet, Austin, Winter,
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell
Gloucestershire - Holliday, Pinchin

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 February 16 12:32 GMT (UK) »
I think philheeks suggestion is a good one

I am currently looking through Flickr. There is a group , for example , that highlight vintage police pictures. It may pay to spend some time on the site. Also try a few county historical sites. :)

Though I will also mention I like the nominative determinism. :)
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline Eastbury

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 February 16 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Evelina
I agree with the suggestion to contact the Archive at Worcester first,

The Worcs Archive does hold the Archive of the West Mercia Police which would cover Malvern, The records seem to be still at the cataloguing stage and the period you want may be subject to legal closure.
Read this:-
http://www.worcestershire.gov.uk/news/article/100/historical_police_records_to_be_displayed

Dated Dec 2014  of it states:
"Worcestershire Archives and Archaeology Service, based at The Hive, has been awarded funding to help bring historical police records onto public display.
Police archives will be available for the public to view at The Hive after being awarded £42,000 to catalogue and make available the West Mercia Police archives as part of the National Cataloguing Grant programme, administered by The National Archives and funded by The Pilgrim Trust.
Criminal Records of the Marches, as the project is called, will be fully catalogued over the next 15 months for them to be made available to the public."

and then try a search here:-
http://e-services.worcestershire.gov.uk/CalmView/

As regards Birmingham, I guess, but don't know, that Birmingham was probably part of the Warwickshire Constabulary. Their records are held at the Warwickshire Archive.
The following is taken from the Warwickshire Heritage and Culture website:-
“The records of the Warwickshire Constabulary dating from 1840 have been deposited: they contain much information about the administration of the police service and the careers of individual police officers, but very little about criminals”

It's worth an email to Warwickshire Archive to check that Birmingham was part of the Warwickshire Constabulary in the period you are referrring to.
Jack