Author Topic: What will a death certificate tell me?  (Read 1731 times)

Offline Thornwood

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What will a death certificate tell me?
« on: Friday 05 February 16 16:02 GMT (UK) »
I have an ancestor who lived, married, had children and died in a village in Leicestershire but I can find no record of his birth/baptism. He would have been born before birth certificates. (Approx 1783).
With the help of Rootchatters it now seems possible that he was born in a village approximately 10 miles away, same name and approximate year of birth. BUT how do I prove its the same person. If I sent for his death certificate, died 1840, would it tell me the village where he was born or would it only say the county or maybe nothing at all?
How do you prove pre census and certificates that the person you find is the same person you are looking for?
Any help appreciated.
Thornwood

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What will a death certificate tell me?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 February 16 16:04 GMT (UK) »
You will probably find this 'tutorial' useful http://www.dixons.clara.co.uk/Certificates/deaths.htm

If I sent for his death certificate, died 1840, would it tell me the village where he was born or would it only say the county or maybe nothing at all?

It will not contain any information at all about place of birth I'm afraid.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 February 16 16:17 GMT (UK) »
You can look for a will for his father.It may name him & his children.
Long shot.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 February 16 16:20 GMT (UK) »
If it is of any interest you can see http://home.clara.net/dixons/Certificates/deaths.htm for the details on a death certificate
or download http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/images/Death%20Cert%20PDF.pdf
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 February 16 16:30 GMT (UK) »
The death certificate probably won't help prove where he was born, but other bits of information could help. If his occupation is stated, he may have followed the same trade as his father. The informant is more likely to be a wife or child, but could be a brother or sister.

Are there any possible siblings born in the same place, and can you trace them? Where did his parents die? As jim1 suggests, looking for his father's will may be useful. If several family members move from one village to the other around the same time, it gives you a strong clue that you've got the right person.

Also, looking for repeated names in the family could help.

So the death certificate won't tell you where he was born, but don't give up hope.
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 February 16 16:46 GMT (UK) »
I have a married couple in my tree (who admittedly were childless) where the wife's death was informed by her great-nephew-in law (my direct ancestor, grandson of her husband's sister) and the husband was informed by a great nephew from an entirely different branch of his family, the descendant of his brother, whose birth I didn't even know about and traced subsequently. I've also had sons-in-law informing on deaths or even, in one confusing occasion, a step-son when we had no idea he had remarried slightly prior to death. It is most likely to be a spouse or child to inform, however, but if you are stuck it might be worth a chance.

What about checking newspapers? If there was a death notice, it might say where he was formerly native of. Have you checked the original parish records for his marriage? It might also give an indication of where he came from, although that might not necessarily be where he was born.

One other thing I might suggest is researching this other person to see if you can find traces to indicate there was another person. If they were separate, you might find a marriage or death that isn't yours, for example. You might find evidence through lack of evidence, if you see what I mean.

Offline Thornwood

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 February 16 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all the suggestions I will follow them up.
 I have no positive evidence of who his father was, again this depends on whether I have the right person or not.
Thornwood

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 February 16 17:01 GMT (UK) »
The headstone on his grave may give more information than the death cert.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 05 February 16 17:10 GMT (UK) »
.... BUT how do I prove its the same person. If I sent for his death certificate, died 1840, would it tell me the village where he was born or would it only say the county or maybe nothing at all?

Actually proving it is the same person will depend on (a) how much you can unearth and (b, crucially) how rare or unusual his name was.  As an example, one of my ancestors had a fairly unusual surname and came from a small Suffolk village (it's still small today), but as the interlinked families kept reusing the same small number of first names it is almost impossible to work out with certainty from baptism records who descends from whom.

The death cert. should tell you his age (maybe accurate), what he died of and where, and who registered the death - which can be interesting and may help.  Occupation in an 1840 village is likely to be Agricultural Labourer, but you may be lucky.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young