Author Topic: Residency in Greenoch  (Read 537 times)

Offline cire

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Residency in Greenoch
« on: Friday 05 February 16 19:36 GMT (UK) »
I have a marriage in Greenoch in 1852. Neither of the couple had any previous connection to Greenoch. After the marriage they sailed for Australia. The marriage certificate does say that both were "of this parish." Does anyone know how long they would have had to be resident in Greenoch before they could be married there?

Eric
Beeston, Whithead & Towle
Allesley, Bloxham from c. 1815
Foleshill, Gee (Jee) Adams Millerchip
Burton Dassett, Bloxham to c. 1815

Offline orkrad

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Residency in Greenoch
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 February 16 22:27 GMT (UK) »
 Hi there

This website may be helpful to you http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/help/index.aspx?r=554&406. On left hand side click on OPR ( old parish registers) Civil records are only available from 1855. Previous to that date the records where available were kept by The Church of Scotland regardless of the couple's denomination.   The  early records are unfortunately not as detailed as family historians would like.

Regards Orkrad.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Re: Residency in Greenoch
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 February 16 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if it is the same in Scotland, but in England it was about three weeks.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.