Author Topic: Shaw  (Read 10972 times)

Offline Northerngirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Shaw
« Reply #72 on: Tuesday 14 June 16 10:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Shaw Clingan.

I am going to add my penny's worth and it is probably going to be useless but here goes...

My paternal side - the Murray family - married into the Shaw family at around about 1830 to 1833. James Murray and Elizabeth Shaw; their oldest child James is my 3 X great grandfather.  I have traced the Shaw family back to Margaret Paterson, wife of William Shaw.  They had several children and those children including a very elusive Samual Shaw.  In my research I did come across a Samual Shaw family including the name Nicholas for a wife.  My own Shaw family were based in Kirkpatrick Durham but more interestingly I have found them at a place called Corsgate where it seems there was a small stone mason environment.  The name Clingan is very much associated with Kirkpatrick Durham. Corsgate is along a now disused road that used to travel north towards Corsock. 

When I went up to Edinburgh to look at the kirk minutes I found an entry regarding William Shaw and Margaret Paterson.  William may have lived at or near Arkland as did Margaret.  When I visited Corsock last year the village people were very kind and helpful and I was introduced to one of the local farmers - Mr Shaw.  He told me that his family had lived in this area for many centuries.  I think that my William- who I cannot trace - was part of this family. I did toy with the idea that he may have gone with his son abroad with the intention of returning but never got back - a fantastical notion really.  Whichever way the Shaw family with the name Nicholas did emigrate but they can be traced for the Dumfried area.  Hope this has not clouded the waters too much for you.

NG.
SCOTLAND
KBC interests - Murray and Shaw: Blacklock and Kirkland.
DMS interests - as KBC.

ENGLAND
Northumberland
Murray: > 1920 in Longbenton/Forest Hall; Howick 1920's
Elliott: North Nbld 1800's
Straughan/Straphen: North Nbld 1800's and 1910's/1920's Craster.
Henderson(nee Elliott)/Brodie Haydon Bridge 1900's
Bell (nee Elliott) Christon Bank/Embleton 1900's

IRELAND
County Mayo
Mills: Erris Head and Gortmellia
Mullarky: as same
Ginnelly: as same

Offline dmc73

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Shaw
« Reply #73 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 00:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi,  I was wondering if anyone has been able to settle the discrepancy in the birth date of Grace Glover Clingan between the birth date given for the daughter of John Clingan and Janet Wilson and the date showing on her gravestone?