Author Topic: Shaw  (Read 11166 times)

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Shaw
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 06 February 16 21:55 GMT (UK) »
There is a will on SP for Andrew Clingan - merchant village of Kirkpatrick Durham d 26/04/1877 at Kirkpatrick Durham  testate.

And one for Mary Clingan or Grierson, Kirkpatrick Durham d 17/10/1895 at Kirkpatrick Durham intestate.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 06 February 16 22:03 GMT (UK) »
William, how accurate this is here http://host-92-19-214-26.static.as13285.net/fam50546.htm is hard to say...

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 06 February 16 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Monica. There is a Clingan thread in the Kirkcudbright boards - might it be worth providing a link?(Don't know how to do it myself!)

Also courtesy of google there is an old thread from 2007  re Clingans in Kirkpatrick Durham.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 06 February 16 22:31 GMT (UK) »
These?

www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=702244.0

www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=221860.0

The first one is really useful as it includes:

Below is a reply I posted yesterday on the Boards at Ancestry regarding the Grace G Clingan.
Is this the same search? The original post was dated 10 January 2013.

Hi
I have just come across your post & may have some info for you.
There is a book of Monumental Inscriptions that relate to the Parish of Kirkpatrick Durham,in Kirkcudbrightshire,Scotland.
I believe that entry No121, shown below may relate to the parents of your Grace Glover Clingan.

John CLINGEN mason (in 1802) in Knockwalloch d 26.6.1853 81yrs.
imo dau Margt d 14.1.1802 13mths, dau Martha d 20.4.1802 4yrs.
Wife Martha HEIGHLE d 17.5.1802 33yrs,
2nd wife Janet WILSON d 9.6.1862 76yrs.
On the reverse of the headstone is the following.
O Death,Youth,Beauty,Virtue,Blooming Hope
Lies here,a Victim to thy Rage.
For here we lie,no human Skill
Nor Medicine could relieve,
Affliction long,with Spirit meek with Patience great we bore.
We lived in Love and died in Hope
To meet and part no more.
James SHAW and Grace CLINGEN, son William d 22.11.1854, 4 1/2 yrs.

Regds Matt

Well spotted, William  :)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 06 February 16 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Grace Clingan and Andrew Clingan were brother and sister. Grissel is Grace. John and Janet are parents. Grace is a relative to my family of Shaw. James Shaw was her husband and they came to the area I live in 1855.

Well, at least we all reached the same conclusions on the Clingan side, Shaw  ;)

Hopefully some new details also too here on the Shaw side to follow up further.

Monica

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 06 February 16 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Monica. Yes those are the ones I saw. The book referred to does come up on Google books but not to view - pity!

William

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 06 February 16 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Think we need a little more direction now on where the searches need to go on the Shaw side...

This was the original post to get back to basics:

Looking for Samuel Shaw and wife Mary. Samuel had a son born 16 Feb 1818 by the name of James. James married Grace Clingan. They came to Wisconsin USA in 1855. On cemetery stone it reads James Shaw Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland. It said on stone for Grace 1824/10/2 for birth. It also mentions Parton,Kirkcudbright,Scotland on some information. I cannot find Samuel or Mary on any documents in Scotland. It states in a book here in USA that Samuel was a livestock buyer in Scotland and died in Scotland.

From what we have seen, Samuel Shaw was a farmer at Boghall. Livestock buyer would fit with the occupation of farmer. He shows in Crocketford at the time of his death. His death registration will be available to view on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk  This should include his spouse(s) names and his parents' names if known to the informant to his death. If Nicholas, wife died in Scotland, her details will also include her parents' names if known to the informant.

We are seeing his wife as Nicholas, not Mary. He may have been married prior to Nicholas.

Going out sideways with siblings can sometimes help with different type of connected info re parents etc ( CAMPBELL, Robert - M11/12/1846 - At Boghall, Kirkpatrick Durham, on the 11th inst., by the Rev. Mr Greig, Mr Robert Campbell, farmer, Duchrae Mains, to Miss Margaret, second daughter of Mr Samuel Shaw, farmer, Boghall. http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ainsty/wfp/marriages/3.html)

Monica

Offline Shaw Clingan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 07 February 16 02:00 GMT (UK) »
My source for James parents is a source from a biography on our county in USA

Offline Shaw Clingan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 07 February 16 02:30 GMT (UK) »
My Wisconsin USA records show 6 children born to James and Grace Shaw in Scotland
Nicholas 4/12/1845, James 10/6/1846, Jessie 9/18/1848, William 4/16/1850 who died 11/22/1864,
Grace 10/3/1852 and Martha 8/12/1854.
Also in USA Wisconsin we have 5 children for James and Grace
William 1/10/1857, John10/31/1858, Samuel E. 3/11/1861, Mary 3/21/1863 and Jane 4/23/1866.
James died in 11/7/1880 and Grace died 1902 (parents)