Author Topic: Bufton/Lucas Llanbister(ish)  (Read 5152 times)

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bufton/Lucas Llanbister(ish)
« Reply #9 on: Monday 08 February 16 20:31 GMT (UK) »
hope the certs solve the problem. I think the family must be non-conformist as they're coming showing up in parish records on FindMyPast or FreeReg.

;)
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 February 16 12:12 GMT (UK) »
The certs have just arrived (I wasn't pacing up and down behind the letterbox, honest guv!).

The birth cert says - bn 1st Oct 1849, Brindu, Llanbister, William, no father's name given, mother is Mary Lucas.

The wedding cert says - May 3rd 1851: David Jones and Mary Lucas, both 'in age', bachelor and spinster, farmers son and farmers daughter, residence for David is ?Carogai Fawr, whilst for Mary it is Bryndu (so ties in nicely with birth cert above).  Fathers John Jones and Edward Lucas

Just need to investigate where Mary and David end up going!

Altogether, a jolly pleasing result.  Thanks guys for your help!

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 February 16 14:07 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to fill in the gaps of David Jones and Mary Lucas' lives.  I have Mary on the 1851 census, and have found David on the 1851 at Caroge Fawr, Llanbister:
John Jones  Head  Wid  68  Farmer 108 acres
David Jones  Son  Unm  26
Sarah Jones  Dau  Unm  22
George Jones  Son  Unm  13
Anne George  Gdau        8
All born Llanbister

1861, 1871 and 1881 show David and Mary with their expanding family: Ann (1853), John (1855), David (1856), Thomas (1859), George (1862), Mary (1863), Jane (1865), Elizabeth (1867), Hannah (1870), and Price (1872)  all showing as being born in Llanbister except for Ann on the 1871 who is shown as being born in Llanbadarn Tynydd.

1891 - Mary has been widowed, and she is living at Tynypant, Llananno with three of her children (David, George and Lizzie) and a grandson Thomas Jones Swancott, aged 4.

I can't find a decent census for Mary after 1891, so I presume that she died between 1891 and 1901

On a side issue - on William Lucas' marriage cert, he gives his fathers name as "David Price".  I am still whether he was just giving any old name, or whether it was a half truth (too much of a coincidence that his mother married a David soon after she had given birth to William?).  Surely if David Jones had been William's father, then William would have been brought up with David and Mary (and surname changed to Jones  :-\)

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 February 16 20:03 GMT (UK) »
you'd think if David had been his father, he would have lived with them. Perhaps he did just pluck a name out of the air. It's not as if David Price was an unusual name in the area!
David & Mary had a son called Price. It strikes me as a little odd to call a son the same name as the man who fathered your illegitimate son.

::)    ;)
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 15 February 16 20:22 GMT (UK) »
And David and Mary weren't the only ones to have used Price/Pryce as a name - moseying around the various censuses today, i'm sure I saw a couple more Prices in the children of the children of David and Mary.  But yes, I think that David Price must be different to David Jones because a) why did Mary Lucas and David Jones wait almost 2 years after the birth of William Lucas before marrying - if David Jones had got her pregnant then presumably he would have been 'encouraged' to marry Mary sooner, b) why did William Lucas never live with Mary and David? and c) why did William Lucas not take the Jones surname.

I will attempt to work out the descendants of David and Mary, because they would have been William's half siblings, but the thought of researching Jones' in Radnorshire is rather overwhelming!