Author Topic: Thomas Jenkin of Llanfihangel-ar-arth  (Read 1781 times)

Offline gregoryjohn17

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Jenkin of Llanfihangel-ar-arth
« on: Sunday 07 February 16 17:13 GMT (UK) »
some years ago  we started to search for the wifes ancestor as above.
we have hit a brick wakk .
can anyone help.

We are searching details of Thomas jenkin s of Llanfihangel-ar-arth. also llanlweni.
we have established his will died 13-2-1772 ref sd 1772/96.
we would like to find out.
Where was he born and when.who was his wife.who were his parents.
He had 3 sons john david and henryand 2 daughters Elizabeth and sarah.
Also we would like to know if his middle son david.Where he was born and his wifes name.
Last of all we know david had 3 sons and his one son Thomas was born between 1774 and 1776 but we don't know where
Hoping someone can put us on the right track

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Jenkin of Llanfihangel-ar-arth
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 February 16 19:08 GMT (UK) »
I've had a quick look at the very detailed will and can see mention of Nantylloch & Nantyloch Issa. There is a burial in Llanfihangel ar Arth 12 May 1820 of Henry Jenkins of Nantylloch , age noted as 72 giving a rough date of birth of 1748. The earlier registers of that parish have not survived, the record office has baptisms from 1787 onwards & marriages from 1756, but the office is not open.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/a?_ref=211

There are Bishops Transcripts from earlier at the NLW

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/CMN/Llanfihangel-ar-Arth

The NLW has a will for a Benjamin Jenkins from 1842/1853, the will mentions Nantylloch Issa & Nanytlloch Ucha. He left his property to his son David Jenkins. Benjamin died in 1842 & was buried 30 April aged 55. The will was administered in 1853 by Benjamin's sister, Hannah Evans of Abercwmbach in Llanfihangel Rhos y Corn. The will was written 10 march 1842 when his son David was under 21. There is also mention of his wife Hannah & mother Mary Evans who lived at Henfaes in Llanllwni.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 February 16 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Ok, I've been checking the various Jenkin(s) wills from Llanfihangel ar Arth that are on the NLW website.
There's one from 1740, written 20 April 1738, for a Griffith Jenkins who makes bequests to various nephews & nieces including John Jenkin of Nantylloch & John's brother Thomas. There's also Griffith's brother Thomas Jenkin whose children were David Thomas, Isaac Thomas, Sarah Thomas, Rachel Thomas, Mary Thomas, Hannah Thomas, Margaret Thomas, so looks like use of patronymics.

There's a will from 1720 of a John Jenkin which looks to be helpful. At the time of writing in 1720 he was occupying Nantylloch. He bequeathed his holdings in Cardiganshire to his eldest son John, Nantylloch Ucha & Issa went to his wife Mary and after her death to son John. To his youngest son Thomas he left 2 bullocks, a bushel of corn, & half his books. The rest of the books went to John. There was a legacy for nephew James William. The rest of the estate was left to his wife Mary & daughter Eleanor who were the executrixes. This might suggest that Thomas was too young to be the executor.

So it seems that John Jenkin may have died between 1740 & 1770 when Thomas' will was written.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline gregoryjohn17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 February 16 08:56 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to Osprey for two replies.
Can anyone else help

Offline Seren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Sorry I'm not able to help with your initial Jenkins query, but on reading this thread the names Mary and John Jenkins Nantyllech rung a distant bell.

I've checked this out and found the reference  - eventually lol.
I've been researching a friend's family and the reference I found is in the "Historic Carmarthenshire Homes" book and relates to Mary.

It's all to do with her family's estate and is saying that her 2 brothers died in 1697 and 1704, and the estate then passed to their 3 sisters as co- heiresses :- "namely Mary married to John Jenkins of Nantyllech, Llanfihangel Iorarth, ap Jenkin Griffith of Alltwalis ".....followed by details of the other 2 sisters. (one of whom married into the family I've been researching)

Alltwalis is in Llanfihangel ar Arth, and online at the NLW there is a possible 1691 will of Jenkin Griffith, Llanfihangel, who is said to John's father in the above quote.
The will is only a couple of pages, but he names all his children, including sons John, Thomas and Griffith.

I hope this makes sense and hasn't confused you further. I have to go out now but will be back later if you need me to clarify what I've just written  ;D
Census Information is Crown Copyright from: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heather.g

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 June 20 17:58 BST (UK) »
Dear Seren
Are you able to give us any more information re the Jenkins Family
We have hit a brick wall Many Thanks
 Heather hand John Gregory
Heather nee Jenkins