Author Topic: Lookup request for Scott, Preshute, Manton 1850  (Read 1668 times)

Offline Waffs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup request for Scott, Preshute, Manton 1850
« Reply #9 on: Monday 08 February 16 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Yes, that's his marriage index record, but I am not able to learn his parents' names or his birthplace from it.  Looking at the info in his merchant marine records, he refers to his birthplace as being Manton, Wiltshire, which is a name that superceded Preshute, and was a part of the Preshute census area.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 08 February 16 17:33 GMT (UK) »
His Master MAriner Cert, dated 1877, gives his pob as 2 Oct 1850 in Marlborough Wilts.

His address at the time was 18 Victoria Gardens, Notting HIll.

His First MAtes, in 1871 gives same dob, and as you say birthplace as MAnton
His address then as 23 Regent Street, Limehouse

As he is elusive in previous censuses, I think you will need a marriage cert to see his fathers name and occupation
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Waffs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 08 February 16 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Yes, the records from the Merchant Marine are great and were what gave me his birthdate, but to find him and his parents in the 1851 and 1861 censuses remains a problem, and without his parents, his birth records are also a problem.  The info from the 1881, 91 and 1901 censuses hasn't led me to what I'm looking for.

Thanks for looking.  I've checked out about ten Walter Scotts born around London with birthdates of about 1850, but they are found in later censuses doing other work, and this Walter John was an apprentice seaman at age 16, then mate and master, then was a farmer years later. 

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 08 February 16 18:48 GMT (UK) »
As there is no birth in the indexes for a Walter John Scott in 1850 in Marlborough Reg District, nor a child with the right details in 1851/61 then maybe he started life with a different name.

Hopefully the marriage cert will bring some clues.

Caroline Pink seems just as elusive in her early years too!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Waffs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 08 February 16 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ruskie and Lizdb, I believe you're right and I probably need to get Walter John's marriage certificate to find out who his father was.  Intriquing idea Lizdb, that he might have started out with another name.  Think the online search possibilities may have been exhausted by now.  Interesting that a person from a farming community ended up being an apprentice seaman at 16, he must have been a keener for the sea, though it looks like he "retired" to the life of a farmer, though maybe he was still taking ships out occasionally.  Again, thanks.

Offline jrc11

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 08 February 16 19:19 GMT (UK) »
From Wiltshire BMD the marriage was at "Devizes, Preshute, St George". Maybe the church record is on line somewhere.
Campbell Roscommon
Miles Wiltshire
Hitchings Wiltshire
Hole Somerset
Shaughnessy Roscommon

Offline Waffs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 08 February 16 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks JRC11, I went to the Wiltshire BMD site and found the reference number for the marriage and it looks like I'll need to order it from their History Centre.  Thanks for the info as you saved me steps in finding out where the marriage took place.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 08 February 16 23:28 GMT (UK) »
You can order the marriage certificate from the GRO using the details given in Liz's reply at #8.

Yes, that's his marriage index record, but I am not able to learn his parents' names or his birthplace from it. 

You should (we hope) get his father's name. This will help in tracing him further back. In this case you really don't have any other options. The certificate will also give you Caroline's father's name in order to help you with that branch.

Knowing the full details (thank you Liz) I now don't think that the Bethnal Green Walter is yours. The 1891 census giving his place of birth as London may be an error - understandable as his wife is b London, so an easy mix up. If this is the only mention of him being born in London, I would disregard it.

I agree with Liz that there may have been a name change which may account for why he can't be spotted in 1851 and 1861. There can be many scenarios to explain this such as - different first names eg John rather than Walter - a remarriage by his mother - illegitimacy - adoption ..... plus others ....

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 09 February 16 00:03 GMT (UK) »
Just having a quick look on the 1851 census for any possible Scott children born in 1850, and found a couple of Scott families in the area. They may fit into your tree somewhere.

There is a Scott family living in Manton, Preschute. Father is Thomas,29, an ag lab. Mother is Agnes, 27. There is no Walter John, but there is a 9 month old Thomas.

There is another family in Preshute headed by Thomas Scott 9, ag lab, with wife Ann, but no children of the right age to be your Walter.

There is a Daniel Scott age 49, ag lab, and family living in Manton Preshute. No children b 1850.

There is a 69 year old widr George Scott, ag lab, with son William, his wife and lots of grandchildren living in Manton Preshute. Again, no 1 year olds, though there is a five year old "John". I doubt that this is your Walter John as I can't see a reason that he would give his birth year on his seaman's records as 1850 if he was born in 1846.

There may be others I missed ....

The more I look at this eg for children called Walter b 1850 in Wiltshire, or children with surname Scott b 1850, the more I think you need that marriage certificate and hope that he gives a (correct) father's name.  :-\