Author Topic: St Breock Parish Register lookup please - HUGO baptisms circa 1770s  (Read 1307 times)

Offline Limeburner Mitchell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Florence Adelaide, circa 1900
    • View Profile
St Breock Parish Register lookup please - HUGO baptisms circa 1770s
« on: Monday 08 February 16 06:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello Cornwall Lookup Requests readers,

could some kind soul with access to the hard-to-find St Breock baptisms for the mid-late 1700s please help me?

I'm attempting to identify the roots of my 5 x great grandmother ELIZABETH HUGO.

It appears that Elizabeth Hugo "of St Ervan" married 24 year old William Binny at St Eval by banns in 1799. I would expect Elizabeth to have been born in mid to late 1700s. 

St Ervan parish records don't seem to have any obvious matches for Elizabeth. 

I've looked at the distribution of Hugos of marriageable age in the St Ervan/Padstow area in the available records from about 1750 to 1780.  The marriage of John Hugoe and Mary Cowling occurs in St Breock in 1766.  If she were born in the 1770s, my Elizabeth Hugo could reasonably have been one of their children.  My Elizabeth has one daughter with William Binny, and she is christened Mary Ann Binny.  So I'm looking at John and Mary Hugo of St Breock as having a reasonable probability of being my Elizabeth's parents. 

So - I'm wondering if some especially lovely person with access to St Breock's baptisms for the mid-late 1700s could please check and advise of any children baptised by John and Mary.  No rush, but I will be very interested to learn if this hunch pays off! 

Many many thanks in anticipation, and kind regards,

Limeburner Mitchell
Cornwall/Devon: Mitchell, Reynolds, Pryor, Sampson, Mathews, Tippett, Trewela, Retallack, Allen, Bennetts, Chenoweth, Gummow, Adams, Pearce, Rogers, Davies, Burgoyne, Giles
SE Eng: Limeburner, Stephens, Langmead, Osbaldeston, West, Restieaux, Brooker, Puxty, Edwards, Watson, Fellowes
Bucks/Beds: Faulkner
Dorset/Hants: Boyt, Monckton, Read, Lovick, Witherington
Salop/Glos: Reynolds, Russell
Somerset: Pitt
NSW: Sadler
Eire: McCarrick, Gregory, Spencer, Colbert
NI: McGlone, Hagan
Scotland: Fraser

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St Breock Parish Register lookup please - HUGO baptisms circa 1770s
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 February 16 07:31 GMT (UK) »
Found this baptism on Cornwall-OPC-Database:

5th March 1767 at Egloshayle
Elizabeth Hugo, daughter of John & Mary
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 February 16 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi KGarrad and interested readers

many thanks for the 1767 Egloshayle baptism!  I do wonder if this is Elizabeth Hugo.  If it is, her last child (Stephen) was born when she was 50 - in 1817.  Not out of the realms.  However, in the 1841 Census, Elizabeth Hugo is 60, while her husband William Binny is 65.  I would be more comfortable with a baptism closer to the end of the 1770s than the 1760s.  But this is very helpful anyway  :)

I do note after marriage in 1766, John and Mary also baptise a daughter Mary in 1768 and a son William in 1774.  Then nothing.  I can't find any obvious burials or remarriages that might explain the lack of any further children (not sure about John, but I think Mary dies at 78 in St Issey in 1820).  So - I wonder if there are other baptisms elsewhere - in St Breock for instance?  Could there be another Elizabeth baptised there (or elsewhere)? 

I would be expecting John Hugo and Mary Cowling to have baptised more than 3 children.  I am assuming the Mary Cowling who marries John Hugo is the Egloshayle-born daughter of Robert and Frances, baptised in 1748.  She would only be about 18 at marriage.  Their marriage is in Phillimore's: I haven't seen the St Breock marriages.  However, it would seem relatively unusual in my experience for a family at this time to stop at three children with the parents still living and in their 20s. 

In addition, these Hugos do seem to move around.  Elizabeth Hugo is living in St Ervan when she marries in St Eval, mum is born in Egloshayle, marries in St Breock and dies in St Issey, dad could be from Padstow or some other Hugo hotspot (Gorran, Veryan, Feock, Probus, St Austell etc.). 

I'll leave this topic open in case anyone else has any other info, particularly regarding what light (if any) the St Breock registers can throw on this Hugo family. 

Very best

Limeburner Mitchell, between interruptions by two skylarking sighthounds
Cornwall/Devon: Mitchell, Reynolds, Pryor, Sampson, Mathews, Tippett, Trewela, Retallack, Allen, Bennetts, Chenoweth, Gummow, Adams, Pearce, Rogers, Davies, Burgoyne, Giles
SE Eng: Limeburner, Stephens, Langmead, Osbaldeston, West, Restieaux, Brooker, Puxty, Edwards, Watson, Fellowes

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 February 16 17:53 GMT (UK) »
copy of the marriage register from FamilySearch so you can see names of witnesses

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01h13/ 

Elizabeth's age at burial was given as 74 on 1 Nov 1849

Have you asked the opc to check the registers for you?
http://www.cornwall-opc.org/Par_new/a_d/breock_st.php

Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 February 16 05:29 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the additional info Osprey  :)

I do think this Elizabeth Hugo would have been born in the mid 1770s, as her age at burial indicates.  Of course as we know human error can sometimes mask the real truth, but no reason to think that's at play here. 

I haven't asked the OPC for assistance yet.  The reason being that I do very much like how Rootschat aggregates together and exposes all this family history information that is otherwise collected in offline and private sources like CDROMs and hard copies and personal research.  And its nice to have a bit of a discussion about it to help those other researchers yet to come. 

So if anyone has some relevant info about these St Breock (and surrounds) Hugos, I'll still welcome it in this thread! 

Otherwise, if I do go to the OPC, I'll tidy up this thread by answering my own question with the OPC's help :)

Many thanks for all the help to date

Limeburner Mitchell