Author Topic: Taylors of Wimbish  (Read 6423 times)

Offline starchild

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Taylors of Wimbish
« on: Monday 08 February 16 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi.  Does anyone have any information for me about Richard Taylor (1775-1859) m. (13.10.1801) and his wife Sarah Parkis?  Lived in Wimbish, Essex, England.  Richard Taylor is my 4xgreat grandfather.  Happy to share info.  Starchild.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Re: Taylors of Wimbish
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 February 16 06:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello and welcome to Rootschat!
What sort of information are you looking for? You obviously have some dates and basic information. It's better if you can post all you know about Richard, and what it is you are looking for. That way people on here can focus their efforts.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline slippery

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 February 16 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi
As you know Richard Taylor is a very common name in Wimbish. What is the name of your relation with parents Richard Taylor and Sarah Parkis.
Tracing the History of my Cottage I have Richard Taylor buried in 1822 and Sarah his wife buried in 1838.

Peter

Offline robesur

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 February 16 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Whilst both Richard Taylor and Sarah PURKIS were 'of this parish' when they married in Wimbish 13 Oct.1801, I cannot see any baptism in Wimbish between 1771 and 1785. His age is given as 84 on his burial 11 Aug.1859 indicating a birth c1775 on the 1851 census he is only 71 (c1779). I notice that Sarah and the two sons with them in 1851 all give Stoke as PoB whilst Richard does give Wimbish. I suspect that Stoke probably refers to the parish of Stoke by Clare just over the county border in Suffolk, but there are other possibles.

The only Taylor families with baptisms in Wimbish during that period are a Henry/Harry and Ann and a Mark and Ann, so is he perhaps a son of either of those couples but not baptised or was he baptised in another parish with different parents. I have had a quick look at surrounding parishes, Thaxted, Radwinter, Great Sampford, Debden and Saffron Walden with no success, so he may have come from further afield. Interestingly a Richard and Mary Taylor had two sons baptised in Wimbish in 1785 and 1787, as I cannot see a marriage for this couple in Wimbish around that time, did they perhaps move into the parish prior to those baptisms and already had some children. It would be expected that if they had several sons one would be a Richard.

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 February 16 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Just thought I'd mention that there was also a couple of other places which I've noted as having families with back and forth movements with the places mentioned, Thaxted, Radwinter, Great Sampford, Debden, Wimbish and Saffron Walden, they were Great and Little Easton.

Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 February 16 07:37 GMT (UK) »
The two sons who are with Richard and Sarah in 1851, James 48 widower, butcher and William age 45 if you follow them forward to 1871 they are still together in Wimbish giving place of birth as Stoke by Clare Suffolk.

Essex Record Office has the will of Richard Taylor, labourer of Wimbish who was buried 1 December 1822, probated 1823, and written 1 January 1814, it had no information that is not already known, no mention of children left everything including his copyhold cottage to his wife Sarah.
Is this the Richard, widower who married Sarah Wright 25 October 1802 at Wimbish?.

Offline slippery

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 February 16 08:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have the will of Richard Taylor who died in 1822. His wife sold the Cottage to Thomas Wright for £19.19.00 in 1826.

Peter

Offline starchild

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 February 16 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone who has replied to my initial query.  Thank you so much.  Here is what I have from my end ...  Richard Taylor (1775-1859) m. Sarah Parkis.  They had a son Charles Taylor (1823-1904) m. Mary Staines.  They had a son James Taylor (1846-1920) m. Ellen Ridgewell.  They had a son Charles Taylor (1874-1962) m. Ellen Edith Bennett.  They had a son George Henry Taylor (1898-1976) m. Edith Peacock.  George Henry Taylor was my grandfather.  I have a photo of my great,great grandmother Ellen Ridgewell in her old age, standing outside her house, Rose Cottage, Wimbish, Essex.

Offline Niggles

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 February 16 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Starchild

Is your Richard Taylor any relation to the one I am descended from, he was born c 1755 d.1822 (Wimbish) and was married to Mary (surname unknown) d.1802 and Sarah Wright married 1802 in Wimbish d.1838?

Nigel
Parker - Shoreditch, Finsbury, Islington, Ely
Manley - Shoreditch, Hackney
Moody - Hackney, Walthamstow
Lazzam - City of London, Shoreditch, Bethnal Green
Coburn - Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire
Tarrant - Cambridgeshire
Taylor- Essex, Cambridgeshire