Author Topic: Brickwall, Searching for Kezia Woodward of Cubbington, Warwickshire, England  (Read 8112 times)

Offline lotsahunters

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Brickwall, Searching for Kezia Woodward of Cubbington, Warwickshire, England
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 14 February 16 15:56 GMT (UK) »

Noting the marriages in Bisbrooke given by Ciderdrinker, there are also these baptisms:

30 Mar 1769 Richard Allyn s/o John & Mary
05 Jan 1773 Mary Allen d/o John & Mary
25 Mar 1782 Keziah Allen d/o John & Mary
Does anyone have information on a marriage for John & Mary, that might perhaps give us additional information?

Online Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Brickwall, Searching for Kezia Woodward of Cubbington, Warwickshire, England
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 14 February 16 18:10 GMT (UK) »
5 Jan 1767, Bisbrook, John Allen & Mary Green, both OTP, after Banns

Possible Marriage
William WOODWARD to Jane RATT
3 February 1824, Preston, Rutland

I have this as JOHN Woodward of Easton, Northamptonshire to Jane Ratt OTP.   I can find no children baptised in Rutland to this couple
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline lotsahunters

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 15 February 16 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Children of Henry and Elizabeth Allen - I could use a marriage date and place.
Henry christened 18 May 1745 in Uppingham,Rutlandshire and supposedly died in 1755. I  need verification for the death or burial. Mary christened 25 October 1746 in Uppingham, Rutlandshire and supposedly died in 1756. I found this burial, 18 August 1756 in England. Is this possibly her? John christened 29 April 1748 in Uppingham, Rutlandshire, wife Mary. Two opinions on John, 1758 or 1783 Bisbrooke, Rutlandshire. Supposedly Mary was buried on 25 May 1820 Bisbrooke, Rutlandshire. William christened 15 August 1749 Uppingham, Rutlandshire and supposedly died in 1759. Catherine christened 15 March 1750 Uppingham, Rutlandshire. I'm wondering if there's a burial or marriage record. Susannah christened 30 November 1752 Uppingham, Rutlandshire and supposdedly died in 1762. i found a burial date of 17 February 1762, but like the other it doesn't say  where. Do your records go back far enough to check these out? It just seems odd that most of the children died around the age of 10. Thanks again for all your help!!!!

Online Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 15 February 16 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I found your message a bit difficult to read with no breaks in it so I hope I have understood it correctly.  Also, the transcripts are over four disks covering the whole of Rutland, with separate files within each for baptisms, marriages & burials, so there is an awful lot of information for the surname Allen & variations.  Anyway, here's what I've found:

Henry christened 18 May 1745 in Uppingham,Rutlandshire.  Didn't find a 1755 burial.  Possible marriage at Uppingham 28 Dec 1769 (as Allin) to Elizabeth Harding by Licence, both OTP.  However, there was also a Henry Allen who married Bridgett Miller in 1755, Uppingham, also by Licence, so this could possibly be a second marriage, although I haven't found a burial for Bridgett so possibly not.  Burial for Henry Allin aged 45 on 11 Feb 1790, Uppingham.

Mary christened 25 October 1746 in Uppingham, Rutlandshire.  No trace of a 1756 burial. Possible marriage at Uppingham 25 Aug 1768 to John West, a Cooper.  Both OTP, by Licence.

John christened 29 April 1748. I'm not sure what you're after here?  If he was definitely married to a Mary then there are two possibilities: 5 Jan 1767 at Bisbrook to Mary Green after Banns, both OTP, or Nov 1768 at Lyddington to Mary Sumpter of Thorp/Seaton, by Licence.  There are burials for both couples in both parishes.

William christened 15 August 1749. Didn't find a 1759 burial. Possible marriage 30 Oct 1775 at Belton to Mary Cotton of Houghton, Leicestershire, by Licence.

Catherine christened 15 March 1750. Transcribed as Catharina.  No other information found so I will check the disks again later.

Susannah christened 30 November 1752. Didn't find a 1762 burial or a likely marriage (one in 1771 in Great Casterton looks like a different Susannah). Will check again later.

Haven't found a marriage for Henry & Elizabeth yet, but this looks like their burials:
23 Jan 1754 at Uppingham – Elizabeth wife of Henry (no age given)
28 May 1767 at Uppingham – Henry aged 67. Died of Smallpox.

If Henry was born c1700 and Henry 1745 was his first child, then he seems to have married late? 
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Online Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 16 February 16 03:31 GMT (UK) »
Married 18 Jun 1744 at Ufford, Northamptonshire, Henry Allen of Uppingham in the County of Rutland & Elizabeth Stimpson of Ufford.

If Elizabeth died in 1754, the marriage to Bridgett Miller in 1755 could be this Henry.

Offline lotsahunters

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 16 February 16 04:09 GMT (UK) »
I'm sorry my last post was such a mess, I was having computer problems. I am also sorry because I seem to be having trouble with the quote feature. I think I accidentally deleted the programming to end the quote.

John christened 29 April 1748. I'm not sure what you're after here?  If he was definitely married to a Mary then there are two possibilities: 5 Jan 1767 at Bisbrook to Mary Green after Banns, both OTP, or Nov 1768 at Lyddington to Mary Sumpter of Thorp/Seaton, by Licence.  There are burials for both couples in both parishes.

I'm sorry, I just wanted possible burial information.

I have him matched up with Mary Green and since there's burials in both parishes, this is likely the correct couple. Do you mind sharing the burial dates for John and Mary in Bisbrooke? I am assuming Uppingham is the same place. 

I want to tell you again how much I appreciate your help. I am a little overwhelmed right now because our family has been looking for so long and if this is my GGGrandmother, and I think this is, there's so much more information.

The family we're working on now is several generations beyond her. I always like to work on generations back and forward to see if I can gain more insight. 

One more thing, Can I sight your disks as a source? Do you still have the name and address of the agency you aquired them from? Do you have a citation I could use? If I've been told correctly, these disks are no longer available for purchase.

Offline lotsahunters

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 16 February 16 04:59 GMT (UK) »

If Henry was born c1700 and Henry 1745 was his first child, then he seems to have married late?

I can't see any other possibilities, but do you think that Elizabeth may have been his 2nd marriage and Bridgett his 3rd?

Online Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 16 February 16 20:50 GMT (UK) »
I was thinking about this, and the Henry buried 1767 is possibly a different Henry.  There was a Henry baptised in Oakham 9 Mar 1724/5, s/o Joseph & Mary who could be a candidate for marrying Elizabeth & Bridgett, but I'd need to look into that further.   

It seems odd that I can find no burial or re-marriage for Bridgett, and nothing on Catharina & Susannah who would have been just toddlers when Elizabeth died.  Did they perhaps move away? 

I'm also not sure about John Allen & Mary Green.  If the other marriages are correct then most of them are by licence rather than after banns.  You also mentioned you had found non-conformist records, which often fits with marriages by licence. Why are you so sure he married a Mary? 

Personally I'd be investing in copies of the marriage licences - if you email Northamptonshire Archives with the names, dates & parish they will reply with the reference numbers & a quote.  Standard service says around 10 days but its much quicker. 

The discs are available from Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society.  I have the complication DVD which has four volumes of registers:   http://www.rootschat.com/links/01fek/

I'll look around a bit more to see what I can find for the Henry born in Oakham & the various possibilities for John, but maybe finding Bridgett, Susannah & Catharina will help firm things up better. 

Online Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 16 February 16 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Scrap the question about why you are sure that John married a Mary - they are Kezia's parents.
Various possibilities for their burials - all Bisbrooke:

29 Nov 1783 John Allin
13 Dec 1783 Mary Allin
28 Oct 1802 Mary Allen
26 May 1820 Mary Allin aged 76

As to the Henry Allen baptised Oakham 9 Mar 1724/5, his parents were Joseph & Mary & it looks like his father may have died shortly afterwards as there is a Joseph Allen buried Oakham 8 Nov 1725.