Author Topic: Brickwall, Searching for Kezia Woodward of Cubbington, Warwickshire, England  (Read 8086 times)

Offline lotsahunters

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kezia Woodward, my GGG Grandmother married William Steel 22 July 1829 in Weston Under Wetherley parish. According to the record they were both of that parish. John Barnacle and Isabella Steel were witnesses, and everyone signed the document. William and Kezia had at least nine children, 6 died very young. The first 4 children were christened in Weston Under Wetherley; Sarah 1830, James 1831-1831; Emma 1833, and James Allen 1834. The last 5 were christened in Cubbington; Samuel 1836-1844, Joseph Henry 1839-1839, Henry 1842-1842, Mary Ann 1844-1844, and Hannah Keziah 1846-1846. The family was living in Cubbington when the 1841 census was taken. Keziah died on 8 December 1848 and was buried in Weston Under Wetherley on the 11th(age 40). Her "abode" at the time was Weston. William died 3 years earlier on 20 August 1845 and was buried on the 24th in Cubbington(age 42). His "abode" at the time was Cubbington. I assume that since Kezia returned to Weston, she either had family there, or was a pauper and was forced to return. This is all the information I can find on her. A James Woodward that lived in Cubbington was buried in Cubbington on 16 January 1845 (age 45). I suspect he was Kezia's brother. I wasn't able to find him in the 1841 census though. Just wondering if there are are any other resources or things to check to see if we can find her. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Offline pjm99

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Brickwall, Searching for Kezia Woodward of Cubbington, Warwickshire, England
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 February 16 07:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
You seem to have gathered just about everything you can apart for a baptism record. Kezia appears in 23 public trees on Ancestry and non of them have managed to discover where she was born. However, some of them cite a baptism in Rutland / Northamptonshire:
Keziah Woodward, 19 Jun 1808, Bisbrooke, Daughter of William Woodward and Mary.
Certainly there does not appear to be a baptism in Warwickshire so I suggest you have a go at this possibility and see if it yields anything.
HTH
Peter
Allen, Brown, West - Berkshire
Caesar, Dicker, Lamden, West - Hampshire
Hicks, Martin, Masters - Kent, Middlesex
Hancox/Hancock/Hancocke - Warwickshire
Gardner - Devon
Traylen - Essex & Jersey

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Brickwall, Searching for Kezia Woodward of Cubbington, Warwickshire, England
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 February 16 11:39 GMT (UK) »
That may be her Christening;

1851 Census has a WILLIAM Westward born c 1805, Bisbrook, Rutland, living in Wolfhampcote, Warwickshire.
Wife Jane, Children;
Mary 14, Isaac 12, Emily 10, Charles 7, James 4, Hannah 3

They are there in 1841 also;

1841 Census
HO1071138/23/Wolfhamcote
William Woodward, 35. Ag Lab
Jane Woodward, 30
Emanwell Woodward, 12
Mark Woodward, 10
Ester Woodward, 7
Mary Woodward, 5
Isaih Woodward, 2
Emma Woodward, 2 Mths

All down as born in County which we know as not true for William from 1851 Census.

1871 he is born c 1803 Bisbrooke

Possible Marriage
William WOODWARD to Jane RATT
3 February 1824, Preston, Rutland

Although I cant find a Christening
WILLIAM/MARY Christened Bisbrooke;
KEZIAH 19 June 1808
JAMES. 10 or 30 March 1800 (F/S has both dates)
ESTHER, 2 June 1811

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 February 16 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Marriage Bisbrooke
William woodward and Mary Allin 15.11.1793
Richard Allin and Frances Williams 15.11.1793
Daughter Hannah 20.11.1794
Lucy 14.10.1797
James 30.3.1800
Kerzia 19.6.1808
Esther 2.6.1811

Ciderdrinker

Offline lotsahunters

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 February 16 19:22 GMT (UK) »
In researching this, I will need to know if the James Woodward that died 1st quarter 1845 in Oakham, Rutlandshire Volume 15 Page 559 Line 3 is the James in this family, as the James in Warwickshire was buried 16 January 1845 in Cubbington(age 45). The registration in Warwick, Warwickshire, England is Volume 16 Page 467 Line 4  Is it possible to get additional information for the Oakham death, maybe an age or a burial record from the parish?
The other scenario is that the James that died in Cubbington is not Kezia's brother and this one is.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 00:11 GMT (UK) »
The James Woodward in Rutland was buried at Empingham 12 Jan 1845 aged 44.

The other two children baptised to William & Mary in Bisbrook are:
22 Dec 1802 Mary
12 Oct 1805 William

Noting the marriages in Bisbrooke given by Ciderdrinker, there are also these baptisms:

30 Mar 1769 Richard Allyn s/o John & Mary
05 Jan 1773 Mary Allen d/o John & Mary
25 Mar 1782 Keziah Allen d/o John & Mary

So presumably Keziah Woodward was named after Keziah Allen, her mother's youngest sister. 

Other children baptised to the same couple were

John Allen 5 Jan 1768
Henry Allen 6 Aug 1775
Ann Allen 12 Sep 1777
William Allen 3 July 1780

MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 00:22 GMT (UK) »
A James Woodward that lived in Cubbington was buried in Cubbington on 16 January 1845 (age 45). I suspect he was Kezia's brother. I wasn't able to find him in the 1841 census though.

The James Woodward in Rutland was buried at Empingham 12 Jan 1845 aged 44.

Just to complicate things, the James Woodward who died in Empingham, Rutland is on the 1841 census as not born in county  :-\  It looks like he married Esther Kitchen 17 Sep 1827 in Empingham - both OTP
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline lotsahunters

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 17:38 GMT (UK) »
        I have found information on Hannah, who married Charles Naylor. They had 7 children. She died in 1870 and the death was registered in Uppingham, Rutlandshire.
        I can't find anything on Lucy; Christened 14 October 1797 Bisbrooke, Rutlandshire, England.
        Plenty of information on James, who married Esther Kitchen. They had 7 or 8 children. I'm confused by Thomas and Ann christened 25 August 1830 in Empingham, Rutlandshire, because I can't find anything on Ann. I can't help but wonder if there were two transcribers who transcribed different information from the same record. After James died, Esther married a John Woodward, so perhaps we have the wrong James. Esther and her children were visitors in John's home, so I suspect John is related in some way.
        I can't find anything on Keziah.
        Esther married a John Rate/Ratt, they had 2 children. She died on 27 May 1837 and was buried in Preston, Rutland Unitary Authority.
        I cannot find the christening records for either William or Mary. Jomot, where did you find them? If William is her brother, that puts him in Wolfhampcote, Warwickshire; less than 10 miles from Weston Under Wetherley.
        The records are found in both Church of England and Non-conformist records.     After researching this family, we really don't have any way of knowing if this is her or not.
         One thing I noticed was that some of the records say Rutland, Northamptonshire. I'm not sure what that would mean.
          My other concern is the distance. Bisbrooke is about 48 miles from Weston Under Wetherley. Is there any reason she would travel so far?

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 February 16 19:48 GMT (UK) »
             I cannot find the christening records for either William or Mary. Jomot, where did you find them?

I have a CD of Rutland Parish Registers and they were listed on that.

One thing I noticed was that some of the records say Rutland, Northamptonshire. I'm not sure what that would mean.

Rutland was in the Diocese of Peterborough, and Peterborough used to be in Northamptonshire.  A lot of the Rutland documents (wills, marriage licences etc) are therefore held at the Northamptonshire records office.