Author Topic: Brickwall, Searching for Kezia Woodward of Cubbington, Warwickshire, England  (Read 8093 times)

Offline lotsahunters

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Brickwall, Searching for Kezia Woodward of Cubbington, Warwickshire, England
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 01:11 GMT (UK) »
I was thinking about this, and the Henry buried 1767 is possibly a different Henry.  There was a Henry baptised in Oakham 9 Mar 1724/5, s/o Joseph & Mary who could be a candidate for marrying Elizabeth & Bridgett, but I'd need to look into that further.   

It seems odd that I can find no burial or re-marriage for Bridgett, and nothing on Catharina & Susannah who would have been just toddlers when Elizabeth died.  Did they perhaps move away? 

I'll look around a bit more to see what I can find for the Henry born in Oakham & the various possibilities for John, but maybe finding Bridgett, Susannah & Catharina will help firm things up better.

Given the christening dates of the children, this is the likely Henry. Moving away is a good possibility as we don't have death dates for either, assuming the 1800-1867 Henry isn't correct.

Offline lotsahunters

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Brickwall, Searching for Kezia Woodward of Cubbington, Warwickshire, England
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 01:32 GMT (UK) »
However, there was also a Henry Allen who married Bridgett Miller in 1755, Uppingham, also by Licence, so this could possibly be a second marriage, although

Did this marriage happen to say what parish Bridgett Miller was from?

I can't find any births for the couple Henry and Bridgett anywhere in England. If they moved, they may have immigrated. 

Bridgett could have been 40+ at the time of this marriage, so it's possible this was also her 2nd marriage.

It's probably more likely the 2nd marriage of Henry 1800 - 1867 than our Henry.

When Elizabeth died, she left 6 children under the age of 10. If Henry didn't remarry, it's likely the children were "farmed" out or "paupers". Is it possible whoever took them in claimed them as their own? This would explain why we didn't find any of the burial records there.

I have sent a message to the two people that have created family possession sources for this family in the hopes that they'll be able to provide more insight.

Thanks again for all you've done and are continuing to do.

Offline lotsahunters

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 27 February 16 00:10 GMT (UK) »
Ok, you've all been wonderful and have provided a wealth of information. I'm not sure which discs to purchase yet, so if you could provide a bit more guidance there. I think I'd like baptism, marriage and burial records for Brisbrook and Uppingham. Are they the same place?

Let's focus on Keziah Woodward, her parents, and her siblings. We have a burial date for Mary Ann Woodward 22 Mar 1816 in Uppingham, Rutlandshire. We also have a christening date that puts her at the correct age of death.

We do not have a burial or christening for John Woodward, married 19 Nov 1793 in Bisbrooke,Rutland.  So let's start with him. I'm wondering if he died shortly before or after Mary Ann. This would leave the children orphans.

Would I be able to find more information about the family in Poor House records? Perhaps the children became servants. Perhaps they were taken in by family members. Perhaps they received charity contributions. Perhaps they were beneficiaries of someone will. Does anyone have any ideas to help here? Thanks again for all you've done!!

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 27 February 16 00:41 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I must have missed your previous message.   Bridget & Henry were both from Uppingham at the time of marriage.

A lot of the Bishops Transcripts for Rutland are on Ancestry under Northamptonshire Baptisms, Marriages & Burials (Rutland was in the Diocese of Peterborough, which used to be in Northamptonshire). Alternatively Leicestershire & Rutland FHS 4 CD set of Rutland Parish Registers is an excellent investment & is now available as a download.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline lotsahunters

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 29 February 16 00:00 GMT (UK) »
After getting access to the disc's at the library and copying Woodwards and Allens from Bisbrooke and Uppingham, here is something I didn't get:
A marriage record for John Allen and Sarah - probably between 1791 and 1796. Sarah Norton Marriage: 13 February 1800 in Market Bosworth, Leicester is not the correct marriage, as this couple was having children in Leicester during the same time period. I don't know Sarah's maiden name, but according to the 1841 census, she was born between 1772 and 1776 and died between 1841 and 1851, as John is reported a widower in the 1851 census. There are two possible deaths registered for her in 1845. Do you mind looking to see if you can find this marriage? And, if the records you have available include 1845 deaths, will you please check to see if either could be her.

One more thing, I found burial records for John Allen 29 November 1783, Bisbrooke, Rutlandshire, and Mary Allen, 13 December 1783, Bisbrooke, Rutlandshire. Neither record has an age or relative. I wonder if it's possible these two who were buried less than a month a part, a few months after the birth of their youngest child could be my family. Does the disc include bishop transcripts, or is possible we can learn more about these burials some other way?

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 29 February 16 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Different disc, but this looks like the marriage you're after:

6 Apr 1795 at Tugby, John Allen of Bisbrook, Rutland & Sarah Marston otp.

I cant find anything further on the burials I'm afraid.  I believe the information is taken directly from the Parish Registers so will include all information that was written.

Added: A possible for Sarah's burial is 8 Dec 1850 at Bisbrooke, aged 76.  This is from an index only so doesn't include any additional information such as 'wife of' but the age certainly fits with your timeline.

Added: Found the burial on ANC - no further information Im afraid, but the next burial was for Charles Allen / Allin, aged 13, buried 2 Jan 1851.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline lotsahunters

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Brickwall, Searching for Kezia Woodward of Cubbington *COMPLETED*
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 04 June 16 23:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks again, for all your help, we'll let this sit for a bit. I'm still working on it, but not right now.

Offline LynBow

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 29 July 16 15:52 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am the 2 x gt. Grand-daughter of Kezia and William Steele via her son James Allen Steele, born Cubbington and his daughter Elizabeth (Lizzie Ann). I do have quite a bit of information about this family if you are still working on it.  Before writing more will wait to see if you would like to see it. 

Offline lotsahunters

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 29 July 16 21:52 BST (UK) »
LynBow,

Keziah and William Steel are my 3x great grand parents, via their daughter Sarah, her daughter Annie Keziah Thacker, and her daughter Hilda Jane Armstrong I would love to learn as much about the family as I can, and I'd also like to learn more about you and your family.

Thanks for the reply!

Becky